•  

Thread: SMD vs LED

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

SMD vs LED

ok so i am planning to redo my turn signal bulbs and brake light bulbs to smd or led. I would like to know, which ones create more heat? I had a problem with heat before from ordinary bulbs and they melted my aftermarket tail light housing. i dont want anything like this to happen again.. so i am just wondering which ones create more heat.

Thanks
      LED's are you best choice, they have a low draw and look great. I think SMD's are too bright IMHO

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jet321 View Post
      LED's are you best choice, they have a low draw and look great. I think SMD's are too bright IMHO
      do smds get a lot hotter than leds?

Thanks
      LEDs are the bulb style lights, known as LIGHT EMITTING DIODE, and SMD is just SURFACE MOUNT LED so they are same; its just LED strips are a little bulkier and SMD LEDs are much smaller and much nicer IMO, but are the same thing in a way. SMDs are small LEDs in a nutshell. They have generally very low operating temps because they are, 1 not big, and 2 don't have a huge draw. I contradicted myself in my first post they are both nice in just depends, I like SMDs for that audi look around the head lights and interior lighting but LEDs are good for actual bulbs.

Heres an example. I think a picture would better help depict what I'm trying to explain.

SMDs:
      2 x White 18 SMD LED 1157 2057 2357 3496 Corner/Bumper Signal Tail Light Bulbs | eBay

LEDs:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-1156-Ba1...item3a6d80403e

these are also compatible with the aveo

Last edited by Jet321; 02-08-2012 at 01:51 AM.