•  

Thread: Odd Paint Issue

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Question Odd Paint Issue

Hey. I just found a very odd 'spot' on my paint today, and dont know what it is. My 2006 hatchback is 'Misty Blue', the paint is in perfect condition, well waxed and no rust or anything like that. But I just got out the drivers door and looked down at the sill and there is a 'foggy' spot in the paint, about the size of an egg. I mean it is much lighter, it looks like fog or very very light white under the clearcoat, it is smooth,there are no dents/cuts/rust,or any damage in the area.

The blue paint looks like it is covered with a 'fog' like you would get on your windshield in the morning whe nyou turn on the defroster. It wasnt there a day ago, the paint as I said is smooth, the clearcoat isnt peeling off or anything like that. And of course this has to happen on Friday at 6pm. So I cant go to Chevy till Monday at the earliest to see if they know what it is.

But does anyone know what it could be? Does anyone know if the paint is covered by a 5yr or 10yr warranty against rust or any issue that isnt caused by damage, or by me damaging it in anyway? Or maybe it has like a 100,000 mile warranty just on the paint. To maybe cover this being repainted if it is something that can be easily fixed. This is the original paint. (Or is my 2006 the last year that only had 5 years and 50K miles coverage of any sort, even on the paint?)

I dont get what this is. But it looks like 'fog' under the clearcoat,about the size of an egg right now. I dont know if it is spreading and maybe I didnt see it till it got this big, or if this just appeared today. Any ideas? This is going to drive me nuts till Monday, if I get to Chevy then.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Did you ever have a magnet or sticker on your car in that location?

Thanks

No

No, of course not. It is under the door when it is closed, then down 'dripping down the side' below the closed doors on the 4-5in painted metal sill between the front to the back wheels. It is right in the middle of the front door,on the sill half hidden when the door is closed, half showing on the sill the shows between the front to the back door. And od place to put a magnet or sticker.

Thanks

Paint 'Fog' now gone........

What the heck is going on with my paint? The 'fog' that was there yesterday, is now gone. It rained all of 5 mins. yesterday, I was in it, but Fla. gets downpours and I drive through puddles wheel-well deep!. And nothing happens.
      Now this 'fog' under/in the paint is gone. There is no cut in the paint, no holes,no damage in that spot. I am stumped! Heck it is 90% humidity all the time, and this has never happened before on the car. So...what has possessed my cars paint?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i think it is trapped moisture, the easiest way to do that is putting a magnet on a wet car (like dealer advertising) and letting it dry. I've seen white squares on black hoods...

If it went away, the sun may have dried it out, if it comes back regularly, get your self a heat gun and warm it up to 300* and it should dry it out (use caution)

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      Hey. I just found a very odd 'spot' on my paint today, and dont know what it is. My 2006 hatchback is 'Misty Blue', the paint is in perfect condition, well waxed and no rust or anything like that. But I just got out the drivers door and looked down at the sill and there is a 'foggy' spot in the paint, about the size of an egg. I mean it is much lighter, it looks like fog or very very light white under the clearcoat, it is smooth,there are no dents/cuts/rust,or any damage in the area.

The blue paint looks like it is covered with a 'fog' like you would get on your windshield in the morning whe nyou turn on the defroster. It wasnt there a day ago, the paint as I said is smooth, the clearcoat isnt peeling off or anything like that. And of course this has to happen on Friday at 6pm. So I cant go to Chevy till Monday at the earliest to see if they know what it is.

But does anyone know what it could be? Does anyone know if the paint is covered by a 5yr or 10yr warranty against rust or any issue that isnt caused by damage, or by me damaging it in anyway? Or maybe it has like a 100,000 mile warranty just on the paint. To maybe cover this being repainted if it is something that can be easily fixed. This is the original paint. (Or is my 2006 the last year that only had 5 years and 50K miles coverage of any sort, even on the paint?)

I dont get what this is. But it looks like 'fog' under the clearcoat,about the size of an egg right now. I dont know if it is spreading and maybe I didnt see it till it got this big, or if this just appeared today. Any ideas? This is going to drive me nuts till Monday, if I get to Chevy then.

Hi FlaAveo5,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you're doing the correct thing by having the dealer look at the odd paint on your vehicle. You may have already been to the dealer by now but if you like I could research further, please private message me the last 8-digits of your vehicle's VIN# so I can check your Warranty Coverages. Also, I would need your current mileage.

Best,
      Vanessa,
      GM Customer Service

Last edited by Chevy Customer Svc; 08-06-2012 at 08:40 PM.