•  

Thread: My trunk woln't close... 05 Aveo

What's wrong with my car? VaVaVeo's Avatar
      Thanks

My trunk woln't close... 05 Aveo

I don't know why, but my trunk refuses to close. I've had the problem before and have been able to eventually get it closed, but this time it's just not having it. I can't really tell if the latch is making it around the little bar it hooks onto or what. The hook it latches to on the body is as high up as I can get.

The latch itself has problems too. It will open with the lever is pulled inside, but it won't close. I'm assuming it is supposed to be spring loaded and go back into place once the lever is back in its proper place. I can pull the wire inside the trunk to make it go back, but it doesn't do it automatically. And the keyhole doesn't work either.... I don't know if it was taken from another car or what, but it just won't budge.

Any ideas of what to do would be greatly appreciated; I just hope I don't have to replace the latch, because that's what I fear I have to do or worse, rerun the wire to it all...

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i think youve over thought this by adjusting the position on the catch and the latch (from the sounds of things)

but if it is sticking, typically the best thing to do is take a screw driver about the right size to "catch" the latch. And then spray the inside of the latch full of pb blaster/wd40/something similar. put a bucket or a towel under it to catch the dripping. Once you fill it up, use the screw driver to open and close the catch until it moves freely. closing usually only occurs when pressed against the bar of the hook hence the screw driver.

once you have done that put more lubricant on the other parts of the latch and use the key to free that arm up, etc.. agains work it a few times until it frees up. if your able to see the arm the key moves, move the arm instead of straining the key and lock cylinder.

if that frees it up completely, then fill the latch up with a white lithium grease to keep it free.

and since you moved the catch you will need to readjust your hatch to the last position so you dont have leaks.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by VaVaVeo View Post
      I don't know why, but my trunk refuses to close. I've had the problem before and have been able to eventually get it closed, but this time it's just not having it. I can't really tell if the latch is making it around the little bar it hooks onto or what. The hook it latches to on the body is as high up as I can get.

The latch itself has problems too. It will open with the lever is pulled inside, but it won't close. I'm assuming it is supposed to be spring loaded and go back into place once the lever is back in its proper place. I can pull the wire inside the trunk to make it go back, but it doesn't do it automatically. And the keyhole doesn't work either.... I don't know if it was taken from another car or what, but it just won't budge.

Any ideas of what to do would be greatly appreciated; I just hope I don't have to replace the latch, because that's what I fear I have to do or worse, rerun the wire to it all...
      Hello VaVaVeo,

Thank you for your post. I would suggest taking it into your Chevy dealership and having them take a look at it. It may be something simple that a Chevy Certified Mechanics would be able to diagnose and fix easily. They would be the best resource and most familiar with your Aveo trunk latch. If you would to PM me your VIN, I could also research to see if there are any recalls or special coverages related to this issue you're experiencing.

I look forward to your reply.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

What's wrong with my car? VaVaVeo's Avatar
      Thanks
      We found the problem - the car appears to have been in an accident and the metal the catch is fashioned to is bent, resulting in the catch positioned more horizontal than vertical. We used a hammer and bent it up enough the latch would be forced into the locking position after trying to reposition the truck door, the latch, and the catch. Case closed, as is my trunk.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by VaVaVeo View Post
      We found the problem - the car appears to have been in an accident and the metal the catch is fashioned to is bent, resulting in the catch positioned more horizontal than vertical. We used a hammer and bent it up enough the latch would be forced into the locking position after trying to reposition the truck door, the latch, and the catch. Case closed, as is my trunk.
      Hello VaVAVeo,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear everything worked out. Best of all your trunk closes now for you. Have a great weekend!

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html