•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatchback front on my 08 sedan

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Hatchback front on my 08 sedan

So, I want to change the (currently non existent) front end of my 08 aveo sedan, to the front end of the 08 - 09 hatchback. The way the grill is so much longer, and the fogs, and the entire elongation and slight widening of the front. I thought I could just buy the parts that go on the hatchback and substitute those for the ones from my sedan - Im not overly car savvy - until my husband pointed out that they may not fit. I have done everything except buy the parts and hope! I do not have access to the parts for measuring and calculating the bolt wholes, or for direct comparison, so does anyone know if this is possible without replacing the ENTIRE front clip. Also, does anyone know if I will need to add skirts to the sides and back, or also replace the back bumper to keep the car looking straight and even? I appreciate all the help, and look forward to getting this project underway!!

TaTas Auto

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Hatchback front on my 08 sedan

As a member on here pointed out before, the internal frame is the same. You should be able to replace the whole front end if you're getting the bumper fascia, fenders, headlights, grill, hood, and possibly fog lights if you're getting those too. And the ones you're talking about are 09-10 hatchbacks... 08 hatchback is even older style than the one you have on your car right now.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

from what i have seen, the subassembly is the same, you can swap between them (and the earlier front)

i would start with the hood and bumper.. and see if your headlights and fenders line up. that would be a cool look, i am fairly certain they would. unfortunately the hatch front bumper is only available oem or used. where the sedan bumper is available in aftermarket.. $$ savings.

if you do the whole front you need the fenders, hood, headlights, bumper and grills. Most of the hardware will interchange, but the inner structure of the foglight mounting, lower grills etc is different.

Thanks

Thank you very much! I think it will look fab! I agree with the starting with hood and bumper. And yes you are right, I do man the 09-10 front! I think the look will really st my aveo apart from the e100's i pass daily! lol I apologize for not seeing the first post that pointed out that the sub was the same. When I searched for post telling me that I couldn't find anything! I think adding the fog lights, despite the complications which I am certain we will overcome with some handy work, will really pull it together!!

I do hate that the 09 bumper isnt avail aftermarket just yet that I can find, but the crazy costs are worth the look. With the price I paid for the car, I could do just about any mod and still be under market. Although I intend to drive her until she literally falls apart!

By the way serega, I love your car! It is beautiful! =D>
      TaTas Auto

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i doubt there will be an aftermarket bumper for the new hatch, it would have to have the bowtie molded into it, and the aftermarket companies don't have those rights.. from my experience.

i have not personally seen aftermarket bumpers that include trademarked writing or symbols on them. And even recall a problem once where we installed an aftermarket saturn bumper on a car and it didnt have the "saturn" letter impressions to replace the chrome letters.. it wasnt long after that (insurance company was furious) that i stopped seeing availability of bumpers with specific text or shapes..

Thanks

You are right. Used or from chevy is all i can find really. I am certain I can figure out where to get the parts. With such a big change it will take a lot of parts but thats ok. I am just glad Im not crazy and that there are others who agree it will be cute and that its totally possible! Now i just have to figure out if the sides will stay the same, but after looking i think they will still be even with the newer front end. Then of course I have to figure out if i want to stick with OEM headlights or maybe change to halos or the wavy audi style... ahhh the decisions.... Cannot wait to see how this project goes, might actually even help my husband with this one!!
      TaTas Auto

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tatas_auto

By the way serega, I love your car! It is beautiful! =D>
      Thank you.
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      i doubt there will be an aftermarket bumper for the new hatch, it would have to have the bowtie molded into it, and the aftermarket companies don't have those rights.. from my experience.

i have not personally seen aftermarket bumpers that include trademarked writing or symbols on them. And even recall a problem once where we installed an aftermarket saturn bumper on a car and it didnt have the "saturn" letter impressions to replace the chrome letters.. it wasnt long after that (insurance company was furious) that i stopped seeing availability of bumpers with specific text or shapes..
      rabbit, how about the bumpers that would delete the bowtie altogether, would those be legal?

And there is a factory body kit, or rather lips-and-side-skirt kit, available for the 09-10 hatchback, but it still requires your bumper to be there. You can see it here: http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/owners-area/ ... tails.html - when you get to the page, click on the body kit in the left column (the image will be the same as the one attached to the post).
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

if they had an aftermarket bumper for the hatch without the emblem molded in, it would be on my car by now :P

op- there are no headlight options like you listed for the 09 up hatch.. just factory, and what you do yourself.

Thanks

Thanks! Not a bad , kit! I pretty much figured that any sort of decent headlight would be a whole separate project. But that's ok, my husband says he can do it just about any way I want it. I will probably save that for last, because it isnt really one of the necessary improvements, and I am certain will a be pricey.

Does anyone know of a good custom car seat cover place, preferably around GA, or has anyone seen breast cancer awareness seat covers anywhere?

I do wonder if the front end swap will eliminate the howl... I dont think mud flaps would be a good look for my car...
      TaTas Auto

Banned
      Thanks

This topic brings up a similar question of mine. My GF has an '06 Aveo hatch and she's been wanting to switch the front to the front end of the '09-'10 hatchback, but I wasn't sure it'd swap over so easily. Would anyone care to clarify?

- 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast