•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flexible filler!!

What do you mean there's no turbo? M33EVL's Avatar
      Thanks

Unhappy flexible filler!!

hey guys need heellp!
      basically ive included pics of what im doing with the wide arch to ilustrate what i mean as well.

now the thing is when the door is closed you cant see the gap but when the door is opened theres a massive gap because obviously i have a 5 door which makes life a bit harder when trying to do rear wide arch.

im planning to use expandable foam to make a sort of platform in order filler over.

BUT NOWS MY REAL PROBLEM!

if i use normal filler or even fiberglass it will eventually crack after a few hard slams of the door.

what im thinking to do is use a flexible PLASTIC filler which should in theory withstand the viabrations of the doors being slammed and is also easily painted over.
      this type of filler is also very commonly used in bumper repairs so im guessing its VERY VERY flexible which will be a bonus in regards to withstanding the door being slammed...

this was just a guess from what ive read up..

can anyone shed any light on the topic or recommend any other materials to use....
      i need a material that's easy to sand, flexible in order to withstand the vibrations from the door being slammed and also can be painted over...

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: flexible filler!!

I have used volcom but not on cars tho. It's kinda like the windshield stuff, u could use that to reinforce at the bottom if you decide to use fiberglass.

Thanks

but you see thats the thing what im thinking is if i make it out of fiberglass or even filler, the edges may crack. but if i use like a sealent or silicone like material applied to the edges where it would join the car body then the lines of it would remain visable... and show up.. i just plan and hope for a smooth finish.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

rabbit's help would be golden here lol

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Or you can come up with something so if any rear passenger slams the door they will automatically get a 10,000 volt shock.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

3m automix, thats my only recommendation since they bought out duramix.

which one? based on your pictures, attach using 3m 8219, then fill the backside in with 3m 8115, then put a brushed bead of 8115 on the outside to feather sand, then finish it in 5885..

follow the directions, 8219 requires a primer on the metal, but the 8115 need a good sanded area or metal. so you need to be specific in your lines and sand areas before separate applications

also for the hard edge comment, you need to "counter" the seam so you don't change body line and have a high spot where the two meet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      3m automix, thats my only recommendation since they bought out duramix.

which one? based on your pictures, attach using 3m 8219, then fill the backside in with 3m 8115, then put a brushed bead of 8115 on the outside to feather sand, then finish it in 5885..

follow the directions, 8219 requires a primer on the metal, but the 8115 need a good sanded area or metal. so you need to be specific in your lines and sand areas before separate applications

also for the hard edge comment, you need to "counter" the seam so you don't change body line and have a high spot where the two meet.
      cant find any of those products on 3m.co.uk or even ebay.co.uk

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

http://catalogue.3m.eu/en_gb/gb-aad/Adh ... _Adhesives

start here.

with currency, it might be cheaper to order from over here and pay shipping, not going to look into it though, its like $35 us shipped local for the tubes of glue and $80 shipped for the gun...

you could also see what available over there. lord fusor comes to mind, but there might be others available through companies we dont see a lot of..

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i didnt click the links past that page until i posted, look likes the 8115 is the only one listed there.

but the 200ml 2:1 gun would be the same. the other tubes i would order from over here in the us...

or try lord fusor, SEM, or something.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

it needs more cowbell.

but really, you should learn how to weld, it would come out much nicer using metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast