•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: faded black trim

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: faded black trim

Krylon makes a good spray paint for plastic.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

question

i ended up replacing the black trim from a wrecked car as nothing would make it black agian..

now since im starting from scratch should i wax it or dont touch it ? I dont know as i have never had new black trim like this.......

Thanks

I would not recommend waxing it as it will not buff off as easily as paint, leaving a white residue. I wash my car every weekend and I always just wash it with soap and water then wax only the painted surfaces. I've never had any issues with the trim not being glossy.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

NEVER wax that stuff...

Do like we told you...buy some "black out" and do it RIGHT
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

yea never wax the plastic on the aveo...actually when you do wax the car, tape the plastic up.... do it for every car I detail. Sure it takes time but getting wax on plastic and not being able to get it off easily can ruin a detail and be very time consuming.

....washing and waxing every weekend? thats not good either...the clear will be gone quite quickly

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

waxing wont wear the clear off unless your using an orbital..

i don't wash cars, i would rather paint one. but if you uses a high build wax like every 3 months with a quick wax with every wash, you get the protection but won't do any damage..

i wouldn't use an orbital more than absolutely needed. although without wet sanding i can't see how it would go through the paint too easily.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      waxing wont wear the clear off unless your using an orbital..

i don't wash cars, i would rather paint one. but if you uses a high build wax like every 3 months with a quick wax with every wash, you get the protection but won't do any damage..

i wouldn't use an orbital more than absolutely needed. although without wet sanding i can't see how it would go through the paint too easily.
      Any rubbing of wax on a car will wear a tiny bit of clear plus the fact it is done every weekend..... why else would classic car owners with original paint avoid waxing their cars

Thanks

I don't use an orbital and haven't had any problems yet. And it's not like I plan on keeping the car for long enough to worry if the paint will be bad in 5 years.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

classic cars have lacquer paint, which is never actually dried. our cars whether they have been clear or not, have a polymer bonded and hardened paint one them.

an extreme example of this is if you put lacquer thinner on a classic car it would wipe the paint right off. but you can use lacquer thinner to clean off tar and such on new factory paint jobs, and scrub pretty well. (but don't do this unless you know what you are doing) and i will not eat into the paint unless it sits on there wet for a period of time, like a half minute.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      classic cars have lacquer paint, which is never actually dried. our cars whether they have been clear or not, have a polymer bonded and hardened paint one them.

an extreme example of this is if you put lacquer thinner on a classic car it would wipe the paint right off. but you can use lacquer thinner to clean off tar and such on new factory paint jobs, and scrub pretty well. (but don't do this unless you know what you are doing) and i will not eat into the paint unless it sits on there wet for a period of time, like a half minute.
      yea you have to use the fast evaporating thinner...and definitely don't use it unless you've been taught how to. I didn't know the difference between the two paints because I've never had to detail an older car....but in the case of cars today, washing and waxing too often is a bad thing. But since they mentioned they don't intented to keep the car for a long time, then you really don't need to care. But if you truely plan to keep a car and want it to last exterior wise, washing and waxing every weekend is too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12