•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: carbon fiber wing?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AVE0SAM
      a carbon fiber wing would not be rice... its not the material that makes the wings rice, its the retard no function and ugly as **** looks that make certian wings rice....a rule of thumb, if it looks like it could be part of an airplane than its rice
      ...Not always. I have a HUGE ASS carbon wing, I get called rice for it sometimes, but not too often cuz you can tell something else is going on with my car. But I race it lots so it's used for a purpose, and made a huge difference even at speeds as low as 60mph. Now I know other people that race and have wings on nearly stock cars that get so much damn crap for them, yet they are some of the fastest drivers in our state. I'm just saying, dont always be so quick to judge!

Thanks
      Huge wing on FWD car is rice, considering most FWD passenger cars are designed to understeer for safety reasons.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      i can already see where this is going to go....

Thanks
      Okay... but would anyone be interested in like a Spoon style hatch wing? If it didn't hang off the back too far?

I checked one out at a friend's shop and I bet I could make it work.

i thought a spoon style hatch wing is what this thread was about to begin with

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mtlswift
      Huge wing on FWD car is rice, considering most FWD passenger cars are designed to understeer for safety reasons.
      Lol. Whats understeer or oversteer have to do with it? Wings don't effect it that much, plus later I put a front splitter on it and flattened out the bottom of the front for more downforce. Plus if a wing gave me too much oversteer I'd just adjust camber, toe, sway bars, rebound, shocks stiffness, or tire pressures.

I lost ~2 seconds on my lap times from the wing alone and felt comfortable for the first time keeping the gas down through the entire nascar turn (one of our tracks uses one of the nascar turns) and straight. Without the wing I felt like the rear was just going to slip right out

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Kinkyllama
      Lol. Whats understeer or oversteer have to do with it? Wings don't effect it that much. Plus if a wing gave me too much oversteer I'd just adjust camber, toe, sway bars, rebound, shocks stiffness, or tire pressures.
      Without the wing I felt like the rear was just going to slip right out
      Do you know what understeer and oversteer is?? Rear slipping out on you is oversteer. Most passenger cars (esp. FWD) are designed to understeer i.e. your front end starts to slip before the rear, for safety reasons (it's easier to correct understeer). So a rear wing will give you LESS oversteer than the already non-existant oversteer, not more.

Thanks
      Do you know what understeer and oversteer is?? Rear slipping out on you is oversteer. Most passenger cars (esp. FWD) are designed to understeer i.e. your front end starts to slip before the rear, for safety reasons (it's easier to correct understeer). So a rear wing will give you LESS oversteer than the already non-existant oversteer, not more.
      Yeah I understand the difference. Also my car stopped understeering completly with the help of my LSD, since then it's been very netural.

Wait, what did I even say that made is sound like I dont know what the terms mean?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Kinkyllama
      Wait, what did I even say that made is sound like I dont know what the terms mean?
      The wing giving you too much oversteer impossibility.
      I missed the front splitter, plus now knowing you have an LSD explains a lot. Those remove the starch...
      Most cars with the huge wing have only that... the huge wing on a stock car. That's rice at it's full starchiness.

Thanks
      The wing giving you too much oversteer impossibility.
      I missed the front splitter, plus now knowing you have an LSD explains a lot. Those remove the starch...
      Most cars with the huge wing have only that... the huge wing on a stock car. That's rice at it's full starchiness.
      I had the wing far before the splitter, and sometime before the LSD and the car didn't change the handling characteristics much as far as pushing concerned. The car would push (err understeer) in turns, but the back end would be loose as all hell on the higher speed ones. Wing fixed that. Also I couldn't break 85mph on nascar turn or 105mph with winds on the straight without the wing, the car felt like it was just going to loose control and slam into the wall. It only had lowering springs and chassis brace at the time. I'm sure with my coil-overs I wouldnt have nearly as many problems.

But I do know one of the most consistent time attack guys in Az, and one of the faster guys has an intergra (FWD), ~150whp, full suspension, ~2400#s, and a wing alone took off ~2.25 seconds off the lap times. So wings aren't just for FWD.

I agree, if you see a body kit and winged car, with nothing else they likly aren't out on the track. I've seen maybe 20 cars (out of 1000s) with body kits on the track and 90% of those are drift cars.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast