•  

Thread: Trouble finding California Cat

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Trouble finding California Cat

Looking for an aftermarket California catalytic converter for my 2006 Aveo. I can find one for a 2005 but not for my 2006. Will a 2005 cat work on a 2006? Any help would be appreciated!

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      1) why do you need an aftermarket one? 2) what makes it a california cat vs a other 49 cat?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Camopaint, California has the most strict smog regulations of all the states. A non-certified catalytic converter would fail the car instantly during the smog check since it isn't approved. That would make the vehicle illegal to drive since you cannot register the vehicle without a passing smog check.

This is why you see "49-state certified" emission parts. Some vehicles are also manufactured 49-state only. Some manufacturers are unable or unwilling to meet the California requirements and sell them as 49-state parts. Also, you cannot legally install a used catalytic converter in California and a new OEM goes for around $1400.

Edit:
      To wkshpdad1,
      California has a website that details all approved aftermarket cats for each Year/Make/Model of car.

Link

Unfortunately there are NO approved cats for your car. So you simply will not find one.
      Last edited by EAD15; 06-28-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      so get an oem one

Thanks
      Don't go OEM, waste of money IMO. I went with the Magnaflow for 04-05, is the same unit for the 06 model and has a CARB EO #.

See my post: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108/...verters-13572/ for more info. Ran me about $340 shipped. 06 is not listed on the EO for 06 model, as it was submitted to CARB before 06 model, but is the same cat application. The CAT must have a CARB EO just in case the tech looks for it. Otherwise 49 state 2-way cats will throw P0420 and may fail the inspection. Must use a 3-way cat. FYI

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EAD15 View Post
      Camopaint, California has the most strict smog regulations of all the states. A non-certified catalytic converter would fail the car instantly during the smog check since it isn't approved. That would make the vehicle illegal to drive since you cannot register the vehicle without a passing smog check.

This is why you see "49-state certified" emission parts. Some vehicles are also manufactured 49-state only. Some manufacturers are unable or unwilling to meet the California requirements and sell them as 49-state parts. Also, you cannot legally install a used catalytic converter in California and a new OEM goes for around $1400.

Edit:
      To wkshpdad1,
      California has a website that details all approved aftermarket cats for each Year/Make/Model of car.

Link

Unfortunately there are NO approved cats for your car. So you simply will not find one.
      This thread shows up when google searching for "2009 chevy aveo lt catalytic converter california" so I figured I'd post here:

Link does work wonders, and directed me to WALKERŪ EXHAUST SYSTEMS :: E-Catalog Lookup , where I was able to begin the process of tracking down this part. Probably saved me several hundred dollars.