•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Fluid

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Tranny Fluid

I am pickier than most when it comes to what ATF gets put in my cars. I'm that annoying guy that will go to jiffy lube and say that I want my tranny flushed and then bee-line it to the back seat where I have a case of ATF for them to flush it with. I don't trust ANY place to choose my fluid for me.

Anywho, my fluid was looking like muddy water so it needed a change. I pop open the manual and read that the fluid needed to meet the Esso LT 71141 spec. Obviously the next step is to google the hell out of it. Turns out this is a BMW/Audi ATF spec and there are only a few off-the-shelf ATFs that meet this spec:

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/info/fluids/

Quaker State/Pennzoil Multi-vehicle ATF
      and
      Valvoline MERCON V

I went with the MERCON V and so far so good.

I hope this info. is useful to someone other than myself. Just thought you would all like to know.

JustAGuy

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Royal Purple doesn't meet those specs?
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Thanks
      I saw a thread on it and the jury was still out on that one. I believe someone got on the horn with them and asked them directly and they wouldn't say that it absolutely does fit the spec.

BTW - I brought 9 qts to the oil change place and that was more than enough to flush this tranny.

JustAGuy

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Redline?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Re: Tranny Fluid

Same here, justaguy, however the fluid I use (or will use tomorrow when I get it flushed) is the GM T-IV ATF, part #88900925. Just because it's the reccomended stuff, although it's on the expensive side ($15 a qt.) It's really high quality stuff.

Also from what I understand the ATF rarely actually needs to be flushed, because it is high quality it can last a long time, I'd say between 60k-90k miles between changes.

Service techs at 2 different Chevy dealerships told me that would be fine, but then they said that's actually more than it needs, they say it last's the car's lifetime, but if you exchange it every so often it's ok too. Also the Aveo automatic can hold up to 7.4 qts so if you want it flushed well then get 8 quarts...

P.S. Traditionally there are 2 ways to do transmission fluid flushes, take the oil pan off and swap the fluid, or use a machine that connects to the transmission fluid piping to work like a kidney, sucking out the bad fluid while pumping back in the good fluid. The latter is better because you can flush more fluid that way.

The oil pan method isn't as effective because nearly 4 qts of fluid is stuck inside the torque convertor, and the engine can't operate if the oil pan is off. The other method is better because it uses the engine's own fluid pump to suck in the good stuff, and since it's pumping, it's also taking the fluid out of the torque convertor so more good fluid goes in.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Thanks

Hey guys! I'm a little new to this site, but I have a little advice concerning ATF for the Aveo. The automatics are made by Aisin AW, which is a subsidiary of and supplier to Toyota. I deliver auto parts for a living for a Chevy dealer, so I get the ATF T-IV for cost, but a guy that I deliver to told me that that stuff is the same exact fluid that Toyota uses and that he could get it for 1/3 the cost. Also, Mobil puts out Type 3309, which in my opinion, is a superior fluid.
      It's not the size that counts, it's how you handle it!

2007 Chevy Aveo LS

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

hey with this transmission flush, what about the cleanliness of the filter itself?
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

The filter lasts at least 100k miles from what I understand...
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Thanks

I dunno, but I figure if I am going to go through all the trouble to change out my fluid, I would probably go ahead and replace the filter with it. Will it do any good? Maybe, maybe not, but it does add a little piece of mind.
      I am kind of OCD with my car anyways. If I have to replace one tire, I replace all 4. If I get an oil filter change, I usually change my air filter with it. If one headlight goes out, both get replaced. Yeah, I am THAT GUY.
      I wash weekly, wax every two, and resolve my carpets with every wash. I don't eat in the car (I do drink in it though) I don't smoke in the car, nor do I let anyone else.

I just never saw the numbers in only going half way
      4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3078012

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Changing the filter while you have pan off is a good idea... 2birds, 1 stone kind of deal.

With the headlights, I like to change both as well... toss the used good one in the glovebox as a spare... There are also some people that believe that if you mix a new headlight with an old headlight that the lifespan of the new headlight is reduced, voltage and current draw differences or something they claim... I'd chock this up to superstition.

As far as the tires, it depends how much tread is left on them... If it have over 50% tread left and one goes flat, I'll just get the one... less and I'll replace all 4 corners.

Changing your air filter every time you get an oil change is a bit ridiculous, though. Air filters are usually good from 15-30k miles depending on the conditions you drive in (can be more often if you frequent particularly dusty roads). So unless you're in rather "extreme" conditions, at best you're changing it 5* as often as you should need to... or at worst 10*... a pretty big waste of money.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast