•  

Thread: Time for another round of Coolant Leak Whack-A-Mole!

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

Time for another round of Coolant Leak Whack-A-Mole!

Well, a week ago, I spotted another coolant leak under Scoot Scoot’s hood and just about everything was dry except for directly underneath the the recovery bottle; ordered a new bottle (and the coolant feed for the throttle body, because the end snapped off during my thermostat housing replacement, funnily enough, it didn’t leak the entire time)

The circled area is the actual crack I found in the recovery bottle when I removed it. Hopefully this time, Scootaloo will hold onto her coolant a llittle longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      As a fellow 2010 Aveo owner, I feel your coolant-related woes. I have replaced every line, the fan, radiator, and thermo housing over the years, and the reservoir is still the thing that constantly goes. I think it has issues with size and pressure in the overall coolant system (literally EVERY hose has gone over the years), so often ruptures at the seem diagonal to the engine, or right below (the hot spot). I simply got one from Autozone with a lifetime warranty and have taken to keeping an eye out for than leak and replacing it (for free) when it busts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phlemz For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (11-07-2020)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The 2009-2011 Aveos have the engine oil cooler which, after about 4-5 years, starts slowly leaking oil into the coolant, and emulsifying into a mixture that dissolves rubber and plastics in the cooling system. Even after you've replaced the engine oil cooler, the damage has already started, and trace amounts of that sludge remains in the cooling system to continue to attack rubber and plastics. I've replaced 2 or 3 coolant overflow tanks, and I always keep a spare on hand in case it starts leaking. Although i replaced my engine oil cooler on my 2009 Aveo about 3 or 4 years ago, i know i have to continue to keep a close watch over possible leaking in all the hoses, coolant tank, and thermostat and water pump gaskets because it is near impossible to remove the trace amounts of sludge that dissolve plastic and rubber.

Deano

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Phlemz View Post
      As a fellow 2010 Aveo owner, I feel your coolant-related woes. I have replaced every line, the fan, radiator, and thermo housing over the years, and the reservoir is still the thing that constantly goes. I think it has issues with size and pressure in the overall coolant system (literally EVERY hose has gone over the years), so often ruptures at the seem diagonal to the engine, or right below (the hot spot). I simply got one from Autozone with a lifetime warranty and have taken to keeping an eye out for than leak and replacing it (for free) when it busts.
      I ordered mine off of GMPartsDirect; both it and and the throttle body coolant line was about $81 shipped to my door. (The thermostat housing is a bit of a sore spot because the newer sonic and Cruze housing is only $150 while ours is an eye watering $350)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk