•  

Thread: IS THERE An ALL METAL WATER PUMP/TENSIONER/CHAIN ETC...KIT?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

IS THERE An ALL METAL WATER PUMP/TENSIONER/CHAIN ETC...KIT?

Since I will be replacing the 'drive belt/water pump combo',soon, with all the extra little parts,...is there a CHAIN as a replacement available? Instead of the rubber belt? I keep reading/hearing that most of the tensionors?, are mostly made of plastic, so of course they break/wear out fast.

And the water pump has a lot of plastic parts in it. Is that true? So it wears out to. I mean hopefully I wont have it another 60K miles, i still have only 34K on it at 9.5 years! BUT maybe some has made a better replacement 'kit' to do this job????

Its because they made these parts of plastic and rubber, instead of metal, that we ALL have to replace them so freaking soon! So I thought I would ask....has any company made an 'upgraded kit', and of course much more expensive ALL METAL kit, with the water pump, and a drive chain instead of a belt, metal tensionors? Does this make any sense to you all? Do you understand what I am asking?

Or is it just basically putting back in the same ****ty parts that will wear out again??? Like the coolant part that they redesigned after it blew up on me, and thousands of others, so and they thought to make the replacement part out of metal! DUH!! Not plastic again to put back in boiling hot coolant. So.does this all metal kit exist? Or is there a BEST kit out there that you can lead me to , to buy? Thanks.

Thanks
      Not to my knowledge, when I did the belts on mine a year ago the only one's making the set were Gates, ContiTech and GM-Korea and all used plastic tensioners. Like you I had heard rumor of a kit with metal rollers on the tensioner and idler. After a call to Gates tech people, apparently a metal option was never available and is not ideal, something to do with heat and noise. So I wound up using the Gates kits in mine. The metal rollers are available for the Opel 1.6, just not the Daewoo 1.6 and they are not compatible, nor available in the states.

A chain drive would not work very well without lubrication so I think you can count that option out.
      Last edited by 06T200; 10-20-2015 at 11:06 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 06T200 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-21-2015)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      Not to my knowledge, when I did the belts on mine a year ago the only one's making the set were Gates, ContiTech and GM-Korea and all used plastic tensioners. Like you I had heard rumor of a kit with metal rollers on the tensioner and idler. After a call to Gates tech people, apparently a metal option was never available and is not ideal, something to do with heat and noise. So I wound up using the Gates kits in mine. The metal rollers are available for the Opel 1.6, just not the Daewoo 1.6 and they are not compatible, nor available in the states.

A chain drive would not work very well without lubrication so I think you can count that option out.
      If you dont mind telling. How much was your 'kit'? and were all three of these places basically the same 'quality',and that one has the best price?? Did you install it yourself, or have a mech. do it? In the end, how much was your kit/install? If you dont mind telling. thanks.

Like my post says, so far I got like an $850 from my personal mech. in Pompano Beach. Then in passing I asked at Tires Plus, while having my tires balanced,if they do this entire replacement,and they do... and their price is $520 out the door, 1 year warranty. but I just dont know if a 'tire place' is the place to have this VERY expensive and important repair done. Like Jiffy Lube. You never know if you get the right oil , or if they forgot something, then you go back with a blown out engine and they blame in on you, and theres no oil in it 2 mins. after you leave,...but YOU did it. Know what I mean? A day later they didnt line up the timing points? is that right?...and they say 'well you must have been racing the car!!!' And I drive like an old lady 99% of the time!!! But that 1% i keep seeing that belt flying off the pully, and my engine blowing up!

Thanks
      FlAv, The gates kit (minus water pump) was around $55 bucks, the second car I did (my orange LS) the same kit came with the water pump for slightly more bucks. They were not the cheapest, cheapest is Dayco set that I know of, or ITM? I did both of them myself, so labor was $0. I selected Gates as they had the best install information, and exactly how to set the tension on the belt which seems to be the most critical step in the install process, get that wrong and the belt may not last till the next interval. However this would apply to any brand of kit you use.

Here is the paper by Gates that I found very helpful: http://www.gates.com/oreilly/tech_ti...00411-reva.pdf

But use a kit you feel is best, I don't want to come off as a shill for Gates lol

Might be best to talk directly to the mechanic at the tire shop and ask him/her how many Aveo/Daewoo/G3 belts he/she has done and if they are familiar with the details. If they have never touched one, might be best to go shop around. The water pump should always be replaced during the belt swap, or at the very least a fresh O-ring seal. Reason being the timing set has to all come off to get to it, might as well swap it to save $ should it fail or start leaking.

When I did the first belt, I was so paranoid I wound up pulling the cover off, and rechecking the tensioner position and re-checked the water pump bolts after about 500 miles, as it was my first. I was able to sleep much better using a small (inch pounds) torque wrench on all the fasteners going back together. Hence why I like doing my own work, I can account for my own actions - or pay the price! LOL So I can relate to your concerns!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      FlAv, The gates kit (minus water pump) was around $55 bucks, the second car I did (my orange LS) the same kit came with the water pump for slightly more bucks. They were not the cheapest, cheapest is Dayco set that I know of, or ITM? I did both of them myself, so labor was $0. I selected Gates as they had the best install information, and exactly how to set the tension on the belt which seems to be the most critical step in the install process, get that wrong and the belt may not last till the next interval. However this would apply to any brand of kit you use.

Here is the paper by Gates that I found very helpful: http://www.gates.com/oreilly/tech_ti...00411-reva.pdf

But use a kit you feel is best, I don't want to come off as a shill for Gates lol

Might be best to talk directly to the mechanic at the tire shop and ask him/her how many Aveo/Daewoo/G3 belts he/she has done and if they are familiar with the details. If they have never touched one, might be best to go shop around. The water pump should always be replaced during the belt swap, or at the very least a fresh O-ring seal. Reason being the timing set has to all come off to get to it, might as well swap it to save $ should it fail or start leaking.

When I did the first belt, I was so paranoid I wound up pulling the cover off, and rechecking the tensioner position and re-checked the water pump bolts after about 500 miles, as it was my first. I was able to sleep much better using a small (inch pounds) torque wrench on all the fasteners going back together. Hence why I like doing my own work, I can account for my own actions - or pay the price! LOL So I can relate to your concerns!
      Thanks for the info. Gee you got off CHEAP! Guess its the labor that is gonna cost me most of the money! I CANT do it, i see the install of this on YouTube and you have to lift the engine up just a bit, to get to special bolts, have the tools to get to them, drain the coolant, get the timing right, then if you/I screw it up, I screwed it up, no warranty on the work, and I would screw it up for sure. Well...thanks for the info.