•  

Thread: SuperCharge it

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

SuperCharge it

I was doing some research into the whole let turb charge our Aveo idea.. and came to the conclusion, that its a dumb idea... What we need to look at is Supercharging it... or as I am considering doing, a Rotrex Supercharger fromJackson Racing. I believve after doing some research that we can easily install and tune this device. I am talking to one of the engineers of Jackson Racing via e-mail, and he and I agree 100% that the Rotrex is a much better option, currently he is doing a quick moc-up of the parts need for the E-Tech, and says he will respond with a price.

Just thought I'd through that out there.... if all else fails.. cut out the fire wall and install an LS1 ..

07 Aveo LS 5/speed Manual

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: SuperCharge it

Theres been a lot of talk about installing Rotrex superchargers on these cars but I doubt anyone will go for it. And good luck fitting a LS1 in the aveo and getting it to drive

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

i think it would be a good idea BUT i wouldn't want to mess with the MPG
      You did WHAT? to your Aveo? HAHAHAHAHA

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B1rdbrain
      i think it would be a good idea BUT i wouldn't want to mess with the MPG
      +1

with a turbo, if sized right you can set to have make power at 3-3.5k rpms, thus allowing you to conserve fuel, especially for city driving or long long hwy trips. a supercharger you make power always, thus killin your mpg and as far as im concerned, id like to have the option to get decent gas mileage when i want or the power when i want. altho, i love the way a SC sounds.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

A small turbo, running conservative boost is what you're looking at for a practical install on the Aveo. Sorry guys, no Front Mount Intercooler or a Blow Off Valve is needed here, and infact, would be redundant and a waste of money.

After finally building several boosted cars and owning a few now, I understand the dynamics of it. If I still had my Aveo, I have the perfect Turbo for it. It was a small one I pulled from my Subaru RX. 7psi max would give the Aveo about 15-20% more HP at the wheels. I'm still amazed at how much room there is in the engine bay. A turbo application would be easy and practical. A dyno tune would be recommended to adjust for fuel consumption and the boost. I must warn that if you try and boost too high, that you're risking popping the heads.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks guys.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keiji22
      A small turbo, running conservative boost is what you're looking at for a practical install on the Aveo. Sorry guys, no Front Mount Intercooler or a Blow Off Valve is needed here, and infact, would be redundant and a waste of money.
      Keiji22 is right, I went to a really good turbo shop that specializes in custom fabrication (the owner and his crew make all the piping from scratch), I had a consultation with the owner about what I was looking to get out of my Aveo, just some boost and a moderate increase of power without too much modification (I still want to DRIVE the thing, not maintain it like a racecar)... He specifically said a small turbo with an internal wastegate would be sufficient to get at least another 40-60 mabye even 70hp increase with only 3-6psi boost and the right programming. No external wastegate, manifold or valves are needed, they would be just excess.

The smaller turbo the better. The tradeoff is you can't get large gains in power or torque, but in exchange a small turbo gets you quicker spool up (almost instantly in fact).
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

only downside to a smaller turbo is they are less efficient, but thats not much of an issue if you are looking for small gains like 30-60 hp.

You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.