•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with Aveo in need of timing belt/head help

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Dear DRG I am exactly where you were. I got a 2004 Aveo that is on its second engine. One backyard wrench twister was going to swap engines and got started said it was too cold here and went back to eastern Europe. I am left with a semi apart engine in my garage. Went to pick your part pulled a head off another aveo and figured out what parts I would need, finally got the special valve spring compressor from a Suzuki parts counter because GM does not sell them in Canada. The parts so far have been $300 and the tool $169. I did get the all of the gaskets, valves, and guides. I have never done a head job. What were your tricks to removing the valve guides and installing new ones? Did you pull the engine right out and do the work on it on a bench or just pulled the head rebuilt the head and reinstall the rebuilt head? Thanks Rocky

Thanks
      have whatever shop you take it to provide you with not only compression measurements, but have them perform a cylinder leak down test, and that is a better test of weather or not any valves have been bent.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Sent you a PM, but basically we just hammered the old ones out and new ones in with a tool in between so we didn't mash the surface of the old or new ones. Guides were the worst part but mine had to be replaced since they were actually broken from the valves bending. Little chunks from them fell out as we took the bent valves out. Everything else went back together easily. Even putting the collets back on with the spring compressed was easy compared to how I thought it would go. The more I read the more I'm realizing I was pretty lucky with the limited damage that was done on mine considering she was on the highway going about 75mph when it happened. Might be because the plastic idler wheel was the culprit instead of belt snap.

Put 350+ miles on it since the repair and the check engine light is still off. Getting 30+ mpg. Sold to a friend this week since I already have 2 cars and didn't need a 3rd hanging around. He knows the full history of the car so should be interesting seeing how long she goes. I'll be harassing him about a timing belt change in 50-60k miles!

Name:  IMG_20130418_141447.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  291.8 KB

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      DRG,
      I appreciate the follow up, glad to hear the light is still off. Happy driving

Thanks
      What is it with that damnable $2000 price point no matter where you take your car? It's a scam, Chevy KNOWS their engines do this, but they claim there's no problem. Yeah, right!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
      What is it with that damnable $2000 price point no matter where you take your car? It's a scam, Chevy KNOWS their engines do this, but they claim there's no problem. Yeah, right!
      It's ok if it's out of warranty (tongue-in-cheek). If they designed cars to last longer it wouldn't be cost effective and the general public couldn't afford a car...

Besides, Us mechanics gotta charge something for all the knowledge/experience, schooling, and tools we posess. plus, we have to be able to stand behind our work until the next "service" interval; and to be able to help cover the costs if something does go wrong.

Counter-rant over...
      DRG is that light still off??

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post

It's 2000 dollars anywhere you go, because it is a very labour intensive job. It's not like replacing a headlight belb...
      Last edited by dantheman; 07-13-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: misprint

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Congrats on the successful reassembly and the sale of the car! That's what I'm looking for. An Aveo in need of a head and valve job. I miss my first gen Aveo like crazy.
      Last edited by NYChevoo; 07-18-2013 at 08:36 AM.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks
      This looks like the most recent timing belt thread. The dealer that sold me my car, which is a local dealer in business for over 30 years, had sold it to/done the maintenance for the prior owners and changed the belt at 60k. He quoted me at $450 for the next change of belt/tensioner/water pump. So far I've only gotten another quote from Midas at ~$550. Anyone know of places in US Indiana that do this and what prices to expect? Thanks.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by DRG2003 View Post
      Sent you a PM, but basically we just hammered the old ones out and new ones in with a tool in between so we didn't mash the surface of the old or new ones. Guides were the worst part but mine had to be replaced since they were actually broken from the valves bending. Little chunks from them fell out as we took the bent valves out. Everything else went back together easily. Even putting the collets back on with the spring compressed was easy compared to how I thought it would go. The more I read the more I'm realizing I was pretty lucky with the limited damage that was done on mine considering she was on the highway going about 75mph when it happened. Might be because the plastic idler wheel was the culprit instead of belt snap.

Put 350+ miles on it since the repair and the check engine light is still off. Getting 30+ mpg. Sold to a friend this week since I already have 2 cars and didn't need a 3rd hanging around. He knows the full history of the car so should be interesting seeing how long she goes. I'll be harassing him about a timing belt change in 50-60k miles!

I am about to do a rebuild or a swap or a repair the head on the 05 Aveo that I have now. How are the bearing doing on that car you fixed the head on and has there been any problems that you know of? I know you sold it to a friend but has he reached that 50000 mile mark with no problems. Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast