•  

Thread: need some imput

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

need some imput

i have a '04 5 spd aveo sedan with bout 62,000 miles on her. thinking bout flushing the radiator/cooling system. what do you recommend as far as coolant, the green stuff or the orange? and let me get this straight...if you use the green, do you mix with water and if you use the orange, is it just strictly orange and do you ever add water to it or just top it off with more orange? just want to be safe and take some preventive measures. thanks

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: need some imput

The Aveo's are rated to use standard silicate antifreeze, aka standard green stuff. If it doesn't say pre-diluted, dilute it 50/50 with DISTILLED WATER.

Color doesn't mean anything nowadays, but generally, the orange stuff is Dexcool, which is an OAT antifreeze, which should not be mixed with silicate antifreeze, but still needs to be diluted 50/50 and more importantly, you MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST use DISTILLED WATER. Did I mention used distilled water?
      Any residual chlorine in municipal tap water causes the organic acids in dexcool to polymerize and gum up, plus depleted OAT antifreeze can cause havoc on head gaskets. Do a google search for dexcool and head gasket failures.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

thanks for the reply. so what do you use in yours and everyone else? just curious. thanks again

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtlswift
      The Aveo's are rated to use standard silicate antifreeze, aka standard green stuff. If it doesn't say pre-diluted, dilute it 50/50 with DISTILLED WATER.

Color doesn't mean anything nowadays, but generally, the orange stuff is Dexcool, which is an OAT antifreeze, which should not be mixed with silicate antifreeze, but still needs to be diluted 50/50 and more importantly, you MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST use DISTILLED WATER. Did I mention used distilled water?
      Any residual chlorine in municipal tap water causes the organic acids in dexcool to polymerize and gum up, plus depleted OAT antifreeze can cause havoc on head gaskets. Do a google search for dexcool and head gasket failures.
      did not know, thanks for heads up on that.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

There was a class action lawsuit just won by consumers against GM because of Dexcool.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

I'm too lazy to buy distilled, so I use the prestone green prediluted stuff.