•  

Thread: Need help with this...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Need help with this...

Not sure how this works but my Chevy 2004 Aveo ran out of gas or stopped running at a light close to the gas station I put gas in the car all it does now is turn over I checked fuel on the rail and Spark with the plugs getting to the plugs have not pull plugs are there any options to help me fix this

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Whether you ran out of gas/versus quit running are very different.

Does it crank normally? faster than normal? Check the timing belt?

When you checked fuel at the rail, does the pressure return or drop? running out of gas could burn up the fuel pump.

Anything else is unlikely.. unless the plugs need cleaned which is usually a wet plug issue, not a dry plug.

Thanks
      It was the timing thanks for the help...now to fix it... Seemed easy enough.. should I change water pump since I'll be in it basically

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Yes, you should - it would be silly to not change the pump, considering it is driven by the timing belt. Thanks to Murphy's Law, if you don't change it, it will fail exactly 17 days after you finish the work, and you will then have to tear everything back down again.

Be forewarned, this car has an interference engine - if the timing jumped farther than a couple of teeth, you stand a good chance of valve damage, and will be pulling the head off for additional repairs. There are a number of threads displaying potential damage.

I bought our Aveo with a broken timing belt, so I knew it would need the work - scored 16 for 16 on bent valves...

Thanks
      So having issues putting the timing belt on. Pulled broken one out is all. Besides the work to get to it I mean. not sure where I get the slack to slide belt on then tighten... Any help is appreciated..I have not done anything to the water pump or pulleys.. stopped hoping not to have to do unnecessary work..
      Last edited by Marvin High; 10-05-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Somewhere in the forum is a how to guide, on my phone so search is limited. Basically,the water pump has to be rotated to set proper tension, requires a special tool to do it properly. This is not a easy side of the road fix