•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K&N -vs- cold air intake

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Re: K&N -vs- cold air intake

Has anyone been able to compare the CAI vs. KN?

Which is getting better gas milage

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XJCasper
      Has anyone been able to compare the CAI vs. KN?

Which is getting better gas milage

CAI with a K&N on the end is the way to go. but on a 100 hp car, the difference is going to be small. just getting rid of the restrictive stock filter is where most of the gain is, beyond that keeping the air cold is important. But with 100 hp base, i dont know that that you will "see" a gain difference between the two in either power or economy.

If we had 300 hp. there could be as much as 5-10 hp or more from a proper cai than just a filter, but both will increase the HP of the engine.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

The stock filter is not restrictive. Everyone thinks the filter is restrictive. It's actually where the air is picked up. In the Aveo's case, the air pickup is in the wheel well, as far back as possible. I personnaly think AveoSam has got it right. The stock air box modified to pick up more air is the way to go, or a cold air intake.

For more information:

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2232/arti...popularArticle
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      The stock filter is not restrictive. Everyone thinks the filter is restrictive. It's actually where the air is picked up. In the Aveo's case, the air pickup is in the wheel well, as far back as possible. I personnaly think AveoSam has got it right. The stock air box modified to pick up more air is the way to go, or a cold air intake.

For more information:

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2232/arti...popularArticle

while i agree with you that most of the restriction is in the stock air box. You are also correct that not all cars have restricted air filters, but most stock filters are more restrictive than a K&N, that article lists mostly performance cars from companies who R&D their filter choice as much as they R&D their engines. Cars like ours, cavaliers, and dozens of others have more restrictive filters stock and i am not talking big percentages.

I remember reading an "ask the editor" section of a magazine about why putting a K&N into a car causes it to be louder, the answer was from a conglomeration from an engineer at dodge and one at GM, it was car manufacturers put restrictive filters in to make the car quieter for passenger comfort, like a muffler on both ends of the engine. this was years ago though.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

I had a K&N flat pad filter, took out resonator box and air-feed pipe and replaced it with ram tubing from da lower grill to the box.

Worked well at speed on highway but was **** on robot to robot racing! Air takes too long to get to intake!

So I changed to a Simota short ram intake system with heatshield (da works) and working much better, good at speed and robot racing!

And much cheaper than K&N filter! flat pad filter are just crap, dont let in as much air as cone filters!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I was using simota drop in filter for aveo last time.
      Fit the aveo air box exactly.

It was stainless steel type. Do not need to clean compared to K&N which need to purchase cleaning kit to clean. Stainless steel can simply spray air with air gun to clean.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Does it still use a cotton-type fabric for the filter? If so, using compressed air to clean isn't a good idea. It will rip the element and lose most of it's filtering capability.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xiaogary
      I was using simota drop in filter for aveo last time.
      Fit the aveo air box exactly.

It was stainless steel type. Do not need to clean compared to K&N which need to purchase cleaning kit to clean. Stainless steel can simply spray air with air gun to clean.
      \

Website?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion racingSA
      I had a K&N flat pad filter, took out resonator box and air-feed pipe and replaced it with ram tubing from da lower grill to the box.

Worked well at speed on highway but was **** on robot to robot racing! Air takes too long to get to intake!

So I changed to a Simota short ram intake system with heatshield (da works) and working much better, good at speed and robot racing!

And much cheaper than K&N filter! flat pad filter are just crap, dont let in as much air as cone filters!

Pics?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12