•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fram oil filter discussion

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Worse mileage with synthetic (and Bosch Platinum +4's)?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernAveo

It is mostly the cheap car owners that will find any excuse not to use it seeing it costs more so they will put it down or make up why it shouldn't be used. These people usually use Fram oil filters as well.

When I traded in my '86 yoda truck it had 255K worth of miles on Fram filters and dino oil. I got 1K for it. Do you think if I used syn oil and mobil 1 filters I would have got more as a return on investment?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Worse mileage with synthetic (and Bosch Platinum +4's)?

Maybe he's making that claim because he knows the internal construction of fram filters and the worked for that many miles.

Your also making another "testing" claim how long does a Filter need to last ? Did you do the test your self or did you see a purolator filter rep post on those forums about how bad the fram filter is?

My $40k car siezed at 39k miles due to sludging. Running only synthetic changed every 6000 miles, at the dealer.

Theory and testing does not 100% reflect real world.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      Maybe he's making that claim because he knows the internal construction of fram filters and the worked for that many miles.

Your also making another "testing" claim how long does a Filter need to last ? Did you do the test your self or did you see a purolator filter rep post on those forums about how bad the fram filter is?

My $40k car siezed at 39k miles due to sludging. Running only synthetic changed every 6000 miles, at the dealer.

Theory and testing does not 100% reflect real world.
      Why not stop talking for others and let them talk for themselves.

Yes, I did the test myself when my engine was cold start knocking due to internal deformation caused by the junk cardboard construction partially collapsing and causing the internal antidrainback valve to unseal and allow oil to drain away from my top end and into the oil pan thus causing the engine to lack lubrication on startup.

That is real world testing and bringing up the purolator comment is you trying to discredit what I am saying seeing you know nothing about what I am talking about and fill posts with conjecture and argue with no infomation other than your opinion and nothing more.

so let's get back on topic and talk about oil and not filters.

Thanks

Fram oil filter discussion

If you knew anything about the internal construction of a Fram oil filter, you wouldn't be making that claim. It has 50% less filter media, cardboard internal construction and most over time collapse internally and have a nitrile anti-drainback valve that hardens quickly and allows the oil in the top end of the motor to drain back into the oil pan causing a dry startup knock and increased startup wear.
      NA, I did not make a "claim", I stated a fact. I used fram oil filters for 255K on my toyota truck. I see you have read some other manufactures propaganda to justify the added expense of other filters, but is all of that really necessary on most engines? If Fram was so bad, how do they ever stay in business?

Now as far as claims go, you have "claimed" better fuel economy from simply switching to a synthetic oil. I called you out to back that claim up, and all you did was say you won't do the work for me. Well you made the claim, so I would think you have the data to back it up, Again, I am not saying there are not benefits to synthetic, but measurable fuel economy increase is not one of them.

I bet you run premium fuel too.....since it gives you better mileage with the higher octane.....right?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      NA, I did not make a "claim", I stated a fact. I used fram oil filters for 255K on my toyota truck. I see you have read some other manufactures propaganda to justify the added expense of other filters, but is all of that really necessary on most engines? If Fram was so bad, how do they ever stay in business?

Now as far as claims go, you have "claimed" better fuel economy from simply switching to a synthetic oil. I called you out to back that claim up, and all you did was say you won't do the work for me. Well you made the claim, so I would think you have the data to back it up, Again, I am not saying there are not benefits to synthetic, but measurable fuel economy increase is not one of them.

I bet you run premium fuel too.....since it gives you better mileage with the higher octane.....right?
      Fram stays in business because people don't know any better and then they argue when they are presented information to show them.

Fram (note the cardboard endcaps and how easy it is to collapse.)

Other Filters (note the metal end caps other than the fram one on the end)

My fuel economy on average increased 2mpg with the use of synthetic. So yes it does work and I have better start up protection seeing its viscosity is better than conventioanl at low temperatures. Every person I know that has changed has gotten an increase in economy. Because you don't believe it happens doesn't mean it doesn't occur. So I don't care and I am not going to engage your arguement seeing all you are going to do is find any BS reason to refute anything I say or any evidence given.

And yes, I do run premium seeing up here in canada, it is law that 10% of regular gas is ethanol which robs fuel economy seeing the energy within one unit of alcohol is much less than straight gasoline. Plus with the use of premium my fuel economy is up nearly 4mpg with my last tests.

Here, you can read the thread about it:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27359

But it doesn't matter seeing you are still going to post a snide and patronizing reply to pick a fight.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks

I am asking myself why anyone would cut open five brands of oil filters (six if the Fram is included) merely to depict their internal construction. Do other ordinary consumers do this, or is there some other agenda here?

Seems to me that it wouldn't matter whether the end cap is metal or not, in that it is the paper element that is providing the filtration, not the casing.

The demonstration appears intended to denigrate one manufacturer or perhaps persuade us to buy a certain type of product. But I don't see what it has to do with reduced fuel economy.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: Fram oil filter discussion

When I did my last oil change, I almost bought a Mobil-1 oil filter. Then I realized I had already brought up a set of $6 spark plugs AND 4 quarts of Mobil-1. Too expensive for my taste for something that seemingly just catches minute particles in the oil pan.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

I'm with NorthernAveo on the fact that Fram isn't the highest quality filter.

1. My sister used to work for them.
      2. Fram makes more than just Fram filters, they also make GM, Toyota, Ford...etc.
      3. The quality control in the plant is different on the Fram line than the OEM lines.
      4. My sister hated making the GM filters because they had to be perfect. That's why I use Genuine GM oil filters.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      I'm with NorthernAveo on the fact that Fram isn't the highest quality filter.
      Well since it looks like I started this thread, I just wanted to clear this up. I was not saying Fram filters are the highest quality, just that they are sufficient. I have used them before with no problems. Are there better built filters, absolutley, but I drive a lot of miles and change the oil regularly and if you follow the maintenance schedule you probably won't have problems. Rememeber here, the Aveo is one of, if not the cheapest car sold in the US. I don't see the point in using synthetic oils and 10 dollar filters on it. I am not saying they don't have a place on say a turbo engine, or in extreme temperatures, or towing, or short trips all of the time, but for a daily driver aveo, they serve the purpose.

Thanks

And yes, I do run premium seeing up here in canada, it is law that 10% of regular gas is ethanol which robs fuel economy seeing the energy within one unit of alcohol is much less than straight gasoline. Plus with the use of premium my fuel economy is up nearly 4mpg with my last tests.
      So what does Canada use to boost the octane of premium gasoline? In the states it was MTBE, but has been outlawed and replaced with ethanol. Is MTBE still used in premium in Canada?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast