•  

Thread: Electronic throttle control

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Electronic throttle control

So my 06 SVM Aveo threw a code for Electronic throttle control (found out when i got my timing belt replaced.) My cars been losing acceleration while driving and i thought it was my timing belt, My cars at 58000 miles. Thats when my engine light came on. So when i got my timing belt replaced the dealership said the engine light was from the ETC and i got a print out. They also told me if the car starts to loose acceleration again that i would need to get it checked out. My car did a little better for the first 2 days but now its loosing acceleration again. By that i mean it only lasts a second or 2 at a time (feels like a strong wind blowing at the front of my car) So my question is, would this be the ETC itself? Or could it be the Throttle positioning sensor or something else? Also is this anything i could do myself? Both the TPS and the ETC are around 40$ or would the dealership have to do it? I just paid 425$ for the timing belt and would like to keep this pretty cheap. Thanks.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Electronic throttle control

I had a very similar problem, i also have an 06 and mine was throwing a cel p2135 which was for the throttle position sensor, they dont offer the sensor by itself for ETC(found out the hard way by ordering it and recieving a tps for drive by cable), you have to order the entire throttle body. It runs about 160.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

since you are drive by wire, BASICALLY if you can pull off the throttle body (between the intake manifold and airbox) and or the gas pedal (not telling you where it is :P ) then you should theoretically be able to handle this. although removal of either is probably not involved or needed.

remember you will need a gasket for the throttle body if you actually remove it to swap the ETC, but you might be able to do it in the car (i haven't looked). the TPS attached to the gas pedal. replacing it might be easy, it might be hard..

look at both things and decided for yourself if you can handle replacing either..

posted while writing:
      Seems if the ETC is only sold with the throttle, you need to look on Ebay, in a junk yard, or try for just the ETC from an aftermarket source..?

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

Ok. What year did the Aveos start using drive by wire? Mines an 04.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.