•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cv axles

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Remove the wheels, pry the brake pads away from the rotors a little bit and both axles should spin freely. First gear wont get things going fast enough to hear a bad wheel bearing noise.

Some free front end inspections are offered to sell repair work, that is why it is free. Some/most shops are honest and won't over sell but some shops have quotas that need to get met and anything they find just a little worn results in a serious sales pitch. Most of the places where I worked a very long time ago were honest but I had a few managers where it was all about meeting a sales quota. I quit a job I had for 10 years because of a sales quota manager.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ahh gotcha. I had to have them replace my bearings during the winter and then had them start going bad again so I took it back to them because they gave me a year warranty on them. It was only like 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      OK, maybe the wheel bearings are OK but I would still have them checked.

About CV axles being different ABS or no ABS, my experience is the parts with the ABS encoder rings are the same as non-ABS parts but the ABS axles just have an extra part. From a parts supplier's point of view, why stock 2 part numbers (ABS and non-ABS) for each side when stocking just the ABS ones work on both vehicles.

Radiators for cars with automatic transmissions have an oil cooler in the lower/exit radiator end. Cars with manual transmissions don't need an oil cooler so from the factory there are 2 radiators. In parts stores stocking only the radiator for automatic transmissions is common because it works on cars with automatic transmissions and manual transmissions because you don't have to connect oil cooler lines if you have a manual transmission.

Other industries do something similar, make the same part for the item with or without a feature and just leave out something on the product without that feature. I used to repair copiers. Some of the internal boards on the lower priced models had the same chips as the higher priced models but didn't have the .25 cent push button as the deluxe model. All I had to do was solder in a .25 push button and the copier had the deluxe feature. I repaired some cloth washing machines doing something similar.

I can't say for sure the ABS axles are the same as non-ABS axles but I see no reason for them to actually not fit. Parts get superseded numbers all of the time so sometimes where there were 2 to maybe different part numbers, there is one part number that fits several applications. If you are the person financing the inventory of any size parts store, why have 2or more parts if one part number fits several applications. Parts take up room and money that might be better used somewhere else. Stocking parts that work on several vehicles also means eventually fewer parts become dust collectors on shelves, which rarely get sold and may eventually be thrown out or sold for scrap. How do I know? I managed a small repair shop back in the 1970's and 1980's. I had a few NOS (new old stock) parts i would have sold for pennies on the dollar just to see them go to a new home or somehow be put to good use.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OG-Lou For This Useful Post:

happypants529 (06-10-2018)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      That's what I was wondering. I figured the splines were the same but just wasn't sure if the end for the wheel hub was slightly different. But you're probably right. I think if they are bad I'll order the cardones, worst thing that could happen is I'll have to return them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12