•  

Thread: Compression number specifications?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Compression number specifications?

I just bought a 2004 Aveo and it looks like the engine was replaced. It had some numbers written on the timing cover in yellow.
      I wanted to do a compression test and all the cylinders were the following
      1- 190
      2- 190
      3- 190
      4- 193

I looked to see if I can find what is the engine compression numbers according to the manufacturer and I can't find it. I'm pretty sure the numbers are good but wanted to know if anyone knows what the compression numbers would be with a new engine down to a worn engine.

The reason why I wanted to check the compression is because I saw that there was oil in the surge tank. But the car runs crazy smooth and perfect. No water in the engine or tranny. I'm thinking that someone must of put oil in the surge tank by mistake. Or on purpose as the car was a repossessed.

Thanks
      That's about the numbers I get on mine. The static C/R is 9.5:1 if I recall correctly. Oil in the coolant would point to a blown head gasket at some point in it's history, especially if the oil is dark in color. Maybe they swapped the engine. Be sure to inspect/evaluate the mileage on the timing belt so you know when to replace it, and if the belt is a mystery I would change it just to know.

Thanks
      Thank you for your response. I have been flushing the coolant and have gone through 8 gallons of water and 2 chemical flushes and its getting cleared out. I think its the way you put it. There probably was a blown head gasket or blown engine in its history and the engine that is currently installed is probably a replacement. They probably just pulled blown engine out and installed replacement without flushing coolant.

So far after all those flushes (which is happening on a daily basis and with chemical flushes happening over a span of mileage) I don't see signs of more oil in coolant. I just need to see if I can figure out if the engine installed is from a different car and not the original. Hoping to find some ID to see if it matches the vin of the car.

I will most likely change the timing belt with pulleys now after seeing all the horror stories with those plastic idler pulleys. And that will also alow me to do another coolant flush

Thanks
      FYI A little oil residue in the cooling system won't hurt anything. Just make sure you get ALL the cleaner out as most flushes contain acid and not good to leave in the engine for a long period.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      FYI A little oil residue in the cooling system won't hurt anything. Just make sure you get ALL the cleaner out as most flushes contain acid and not good to leave in the engine for a long period.
      A little oil residue would have been a peeve for me. but this was a lot of oil. It was nasty stuff flowing slowly as the coolant circulated from throttle body to surge tank. I could not live with that.

I will flush out cleaner for sure. Maybe 5 more gallons of water through engine should do the trick.

Thanks
      Coolant before. ALOT of oil.

Coolant after 20 gallons of distilled water and three chemical flushes. Over a span of 2 weeks and 130 miles.