•  

Thread: CAI, which one?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

CAI, which one?

09 Aveo5 LT with and auto transmission and I was thinking of adding a CAI. Here in Cali it gets 95-110. Will the CAI still be effective?

So then the question becomes, which one do I get. I've heard positives and negatives about them.

Sorry for the NooB questions, but I am learning!!

Thanks!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: CAI, which one?

negatives?

they dont sell one, but others will work, ask rabbit what he used on his, i dont remember which one he had bought

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply!

The negatives were not specific to the Aveo. One was that in hot conditions, a city bus will beat you off the line at a stop light.

You say they don't sell one. Do you mean specifically for the Aveo 5? Which one are you using?

I saw this one on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0468086492

But I wanted to ask the Aveo gurus first!

Thanks again!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

that one looks like a SRI, thats what you want to avoid, you can lose power due to heat soak

on a hot day, the CAI temps will still read higher of course, but its an improvement of the stock one

my vacuum eading was 2 psi higher on my gauge so i assume it helps with your mpg's as well

ill have to find out what rabbit used

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Rabbit used one from 90 something accord. Your stock intake takes it's air from fender area where it's cooler than engine bay. So does CAI, except for the fact that it removes the restrictions of your stock airbox and piping. CAI will provide cooler air (compared to SRI) even on a hot day since the hot ambient temperature also means that engine bay air will only be hotter than it usually is, and that's where your SRI takes your air.
      Ascot the negative, there's a chance of hydrolocking your engine if you take it through deep water during rain or something, but you could always get an AEM air bypass valve.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Being in California, I would check with AEM, their intakes are a little pricey but dyno proven and they are c.a.r.b. certified which is HIGHLY recomended to have in Ca

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I got one from chromeintakes on eBay, $65 with shipping and fits perfect, easy to install, clean looking and good performance. U can use as a SRA or a CAI. Power gains are small but I have crispier aceleration and better pick up. No draw backs so far, this intake set up carries the filter very high up in the fender and is unlikelly to have problems with water infiltration.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      if heat is an issue you can also wrap the CAI piping in exhaust heat wrap, that does help
      yellow '04 hatch

Banned
      Thanks
      in Connecticut, we do have emissions testing but only for cars over 4 years old. Once a car hits 25 years old, it is exempt from Connecticut emissions. However CT seems pretty lax on mods as long as the tailpipe emissions are still an acceptable level.

- 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D