•  

Thread: Auto Trans, no low or overdrive while in drive

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Auto Trans, no low or overdrive while in drive

When I put the car into drive it takes off in second and does not shift into overdrive. I can put the shifter into low and I have low and can shift on up but still no overdrive. I know when it is cold it takes a while driving for it to normally shift into O.D. And it is now 0 degrees out with a wind chill of 30 below. Could this be the problem? I drove it to town, about 3 miles and it shifted ok on the way. I let it set outside for 30 minutes and it started this on the way home. The fluid is at the proper level.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tlray View Post
      When I put the car into drive it takes off in second and does not shift into overdrive. I can put the shifter into low and I have low and can shift on up but still no overdrive. I know when it is cold it takes a while driving for it to normally shift into O.D. And it is now 0 degrees out with a wind chill of 30 below. Could this be the problem? I drove it to town, about 3 miles and it shifted ok on the way. I let it set outside for 30 minutes and it started this on the way home. The fluid is at the proper level.
      This condition is normal in cold weather. Technically, there is no overdrive on an Aveo automatic. It's an Aisin (Japanese made) 4 speed with torque converter lockup. (The TC lockup feels and acts like overdrive when it kicks in at around 45 MPH.) Until the engine warms up sufficiently it will not go into lockup. All my other Japanese cars have acted the same way.

The good news is that nothing is wrong. The bad news is that this is a very cold winter.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      This condition is normal in cold weather. Technically, there is no overdrive on an Aveo automatic. It's an Aisin (Japanese made) 4 speed with torque converter lockup. (The TC lockup feels and acts like overdrive when it kicks in at around 45 MPH.) Until the engine warms up sufficiently it will not go into lockup. All my other Japanese cars have acted the same way.

The good news is that nothing is wrong. The bad news is that this is a very cold winter.
      That is good news! Thanks

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post

yeah, its supposed to be 6 Degrees above ZERO in my area tomorrow, so my own ScootaDrive is NOT going to be Happy, it in all Likelihood WILL Lock Out 4th Gear Tomorrow.