•  

Thread: Airbag light Aveo 2006

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Airbag light Aveo 2006

Hi, so i bought an Aveo, which worked fine for a year, but now i got an airbag light. I unplugged and plugged again all arbag sensors (driver, passanger) not sure if Aveo have more. And i replugged connector under seat. Horn works fine.

When i start the car, airbag light flashes once and then stays on. OBD scan tool doesnt recognize any errors. Tried to turn off airbag module in this case airbag dont even flash, but stays on from beggining.

I read there are many airbag problems with Aveos, but in this case i really dont know what more to check. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to denis For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (05-29-2020)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hi. I have a 2006 Hatchback as well, The only owner, I bought it new. Now has 46K miles. MY airbag light has been on for 4 years. It just came on one day. Never flashed. Did you re-set your warning light after each 'fix'?? Disconnect the battery for a minute, and that will clear it, if it is 'fixed'. If not, then the warning light will stay on. Hey you might not have. It could be that simple. You might have fixed it already. Your 'airbag' light is the one next to the clock on the dash, right?

I had my mechanic look at my problem 4 yrs ago. He said all my airbags were 'active'. So it is a 'Glitch' in the main computer. (BTW, our Aveos have 4 airbags. 2 in the front seats, and the 2 in he dash). A replacement computer could cost over $900,USED! So I live with the dash light ON. (I also think that the airbag light stays ON, when no one is in the passenger seat, then goes OFF, when someone is in the seat, with the seat belt on).

Have you tired just having someone sit in the seat, with a seat belt on? (I could have this backwards). It says when it should be on or off in the owners manual. I only have a passenger in my car like 2 times a year, so I don't even care IF it isn't working.

Also, the connections under the seats could just be old and loose, so the connection is just poor. They could be plugged in,but a poor connection. Did they ever got wet? There could be rust/damage in the WIRES that you cant see. Did you ever steam clean the carpet, and get them wet? OR was it ever in a flood? So check the manual and see when the light should be on or off, depending on if the seat is empty or has a passenger. I THINK it goes OFF when someone is in the seat. And the light goes ON, when someone was seated. So mine is always on, never anyone in the car

And if you never re-set the OBDII, you just might have solved the problem, and don't know it. I would really like to know if any of this works for you. Please post a reply. It could be as simple as one of these things. Or it is a 'glitch', like mine is. Fill me/us in.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FlaAveo5 For This Useful Post:

johanbrandon (02-17-2024)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      My air bag light went on when my battery died. I tried to reset the air bag light (turn it off) but all of the $200 OBDII scanners I used didn't work on my Aveo. The scanner said no data or it was beyond the scanners ability. I say $200 scanners because auto parts stores scanners are in this category.

I wasn't going to pay to have the air bag light situation looked at.

Thanks
      I'll post my recent exp with Aveo airbag light on a 2007 LS:

I bought the car with the airbag light on, took it to my main auto shop and they wanted to charge extra for diagnosis. I decided to pass at the time, and later decided to take it to the Chevy dealer. For $150 diagnosis charge they told me the air bag control module was bad. That's what I was seeing also with my code scanner, but I thought it was my scanner (a $130 Foxwell NT630 Plus, they sell them cheaper but that was the Amazon free shipping price).

So I went to the local u pick it and pulled a control module from the same model car ($30). Installed it and my scanner could now see the airbag control module but no codes we being reported. I could even see live airbag sensor data, like if I sat in the passenger seat it would tell me I was large (literally said that). Anyway I erased the codes, even though none were reporting, and the light stayed on.

After quite a few iterations of that and still no luck, I decided to get creative. If no faults were being reported, I would make my own. I disconnected battery, pulled the passenger side airbag fuse (from fusebox in car), and I had a fault now. I then erased the code, pulled the key out, replaced the fuse, restarted the car, air bag light is now off!
      Last edited by jcar80; 03-17-2021 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jcar80 View Post
      I'll post my recent exp with Aveo airbag light on a 2007 LS:

I bought the car with the airbag light on, took it to my main auto shop and they wanted to charge extra for diagnosis. I decided to pass at the time, and later decided to take it to the Chevy dealer. For $150 diagnosis charge they told me the air bag control module was bad. That's what I was seeing also with my code scanner, but I thought it was my scanner (a $130 Foxwell NT630 Plus, they sell them cheaper but that was the Amazon free shipping price).

So I went to the local u pick it and pulled a control module from the same model car ($30). Installed it and my scanner could now see the airbag control module but no codes we being reported. I could even see live airbag sensor data, like if I sat in the passenger seat it would tell me I was large (literally said that). Anyway I erased the codes, even though none were reporting, and the light stayed on.

After quite a few iterations of that and still no luck, I decided to get creative. If no faults were being reported, I would make my own. I disconnected battery, pulled the passenger side airbag fuse (from fusebox in car), and I had a fault now. I then erased the code, pulled the key out, replaced the fuse, restarted the car, air bag light is now off!
      I have a 2004 Aveo, SRS light on, no codes and never in an accident. I was considering doing just as you did (create a fault) ... To this point, I've been mostly beating my head against a wall...trying to figure out what to do about this?? I even bought a used module.. but then found out it may have to be programmed to my VIN by the dealer (unconfirmed). I mainly wanted to thank you so much for reporting your success.. I will try your SRS "trickery" and report back with the results. I love my little econobox and want to keep it on the road as long as possible...

NEW INFORMATION:

The pull fuse trick wouldn't work with my 2004 because it doesn't have a separate passenger side fuse (only one air bag fuse). When I pulled that one... the module is not found by my scanner. I tried unplugging my seat belt sensor to set a code but no codes were found. At this point I was even more confident my module was bad. I found a used module on eBay for under $25 and installed it today... and miracle of all miracles... it works! Also... I was told by many people, that the module had to be VIN programmed by the dealer... total BS... as long as the #s match, it's good to go (likely this is true for other cars). My light comes on for about 5 seconds (self test) and then goes out and stays out. I hope this helps someone...

Last edited by josht0227; 09-28-2023 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Additional Information