•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Cracking?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Windshield Cracking?

I wasn't trying to be mean, I just meant I know those three things didn't happen. I'll never know what happened it just is kind of weird that it shot up in that little bit of time. Thank you everyone for your help.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      My deductible is 500 with USAA, so any windshield replacement is better done out of pocket.... It's pretty easy to find windshields for 100-150 though...
      Yeah, Right. a new winshield installed for 100-150? you smokin somethin? This is for an 09 hatch, you didn't say sedan or not, from safelite.

,Web-Only Price: $285.95
      (includes labor, before tax and disposal fee)

When you get your own insurance, price the difference for comp with a 100 vs 500 deductable, usually very little and comp covers winshields and deer as well as fire and theft. just food for thought
      Who are you going through, Rob? I went to one place (probably like the one you checked out) and they quoted me around 400 for the windshield for my hhr (same shape from 06 to 09). Then I asked the shop that tinted my windows who they go through, and they gave me a company name and phone # and said to tell them who referred them. Their price was around 160 installed. You would be surprised how much you can save when you wander a little bit away from big name shops...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine
      It's got kind of a bubble look to it and then it just heads up the windshield and curves over. There is only one crack out of it.
      [attachment=0:34hwltwr]seattle-tacoma-windshield-repairs.png.jpg[/attachment:34hwltwr]
      This is from a rock bro. You probably picked it up on the road or something from another car. Happens all the time. I live in Alaska, trust me, I know. I have about 4 chips just like that picture in my windshield. You can get them filled so they won't spread into cracks if you're not ready to buy one yet. Everyone here in Alaska has a cracked windshield...I mean everyone too. It's not uncommon to see cars with cracks all the way across the glass from one side to the other up here. But yes, that is definitely from a rock. Maybe you had your music up and didn't hear it? I don't know where you guys are looking for windshields, but I can buy them locally up here brand new for $180 installed. I've already checked, to replace mine. I believe all models of Chevy Aveo share the same windshield, but don't quote me on that. I know for sure all the 04-10 Aveo5's do as well as 04-06 Sedans. All the same.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

edited

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

My 09 has 24k miles I don't consider it new. Besides it's only an aveo, not a Ferrari

List on the windshield from the dealer is over $500.

Used glass install comes with a 1 year warrAnty. Stone chips or anything if it cracks they replace it free. And they only reuse oem glass. No replacement glass.

I put aftermarket glass in my Audi had all the defroster lines for the wipers the internal gold layer for defrost etc. It was $220 installed. Oem was $900!

It's only a windshield. If it broke once it will break again. Why spend $600 each time if you can do it for less and get the same quality?

Thanks

+1 on rabbits statement. And to each their own, Rob. I like OEM too, but when it makes sense. And to me it doesn't in this case. Most small shops work directly with people. Large shops work with insurance companies, so they know they can overcharge.

You will be paying MSRP for what I will pay at a smaller shop, and both those glass pieces probably came in the same shipment.

Thanks

edited

Thanks

AveoRob, in your case out of pocket cost is $100, for me they said my deductible even for the windshield is $500 for whatever reason, so it's cheaper for me to go small shop route. I'm not about to spend $460 on something I can get for $160... And you don't have to be in the "industry" to ask around. Many Russian/Hispanic owned shops here in WA, OR, and CA will get you one of those prices. (not because they get them from different sources, but because their "overhead" pricing is lower, they sell them for cheaper so they usually sell more).

Or even check craigslist... Some will install it for $149 if they have it in stock...

Like I said at the beginning of the post, if your out of pocket cost is only $100 no matter what you get and the insurance pays for the rest - you should get OEM. That's what I would do. But if I'm paying for it I'll ask around and go for the cheaper price for the same thing... Just because you don't pay retail for something doesn't mean that it's inferior. It just may mean that the guy doesn't want or need to make as much money on you.

It's just like buying parts from a dealer or from an Autozone/NAPA/O'Reilly's/Action/etc... you name it. A lot of times you can get a part manufactured by the same company for quite a bit less if you shop around. Is it a worse part because you paid less for it? No, you're just practicing smart shopping.

Not trying to offend you or anything, it's just if you're set on getting the OEM and you can do it for cheap - go for it. Not all of us can get an OEM windshield for $100 out of pocket (at least at this moment).

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

A log truck put a crack in my windshield that would prevent me from getting an Inspection Sticker but I got away with it for two years So the price could come down Two years ago the price for new Windshield 250.56 Plus tax I recently had it put in for only 131.82 cheaper than any place in my area was going to charge me. Next time it happens I will U-Turn and Make them pay for it.

Thanks

I still have to see if mine is damaged badly...
      Mine took a big chunk of tar today from a speeding dump truck. I thought I was going to see a crack right away.
      I cleaned the bugs off just now and am feeling lucky. nothing but very tiny and typical little micro chips .

Phew. for now..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast