•  

Thread: Will this be the end of my Aveo?....

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Will this be the end of my Aveo?....

Has anyone else experienced rust issues in this area?

And when it does rust through, it looks like the car body will basically drop down over the wheel.. I'm keeping my eye on it as pothole season erupts around here. (northeast, USA, snow belt / roadsalt area) Not sure if I should consider 157k miles a fair amount of miles for the car, should it rust through in the next few thousand, or if I got a body lemon.

Attached Images Attached Images  
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      you didn't get a lemon, one look at your location says it all: you are in the Salt Belt, and obviously, the previous owners probably never washed the salt off after winter, and the rusted out shock towers are the end result.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      you didn't get a lemon, one look at your location says it all: you are in the Salt Belt, and obviously, the previous owners probably never washed the salt off after winter, and the rusted out shock towers are the end result.
      Thanks for the input... I too think 10 years and 157k and counting, has been reasonable.. Someone on another forum was saying that's too early, but they probably always bought the 20k dollar model... for 10k, I didn't expect much more.

I'm the original owner...I washed it a lot when new, but not so much after 4 years. The area had the early tell tale signs of rust after about 2 years old. BUt it was mild and gradual, and the car made it passed the warranty period, so I guess...it's just ride it out from here. If the rest of the body was good and undented, I would consider just welding it.
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

Thanks
      If you have access to a welder then I'd just clean out the rust, and weld some strips in. It doesn't have to be pretty. Prime it after you're done and call it good for a few more years. You don't want that to give out, especially if that is the only major issue with the car and $10 worth of steel from a local hardware store will keep you going another few years.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you should be able to pick up a rust free strut tower and just cap it. Still not pretty but you could use those two holes to line it up, and then weld it around.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Everybody gets rust there. As water pools there. I live in the sunny south and have just a slight discoloration. So this is part of regular maintenance that should have been done. I would take the strut out and hit with a grinder then weld in a support strips.

Hour labor 10 bucks in steel years more to go.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xintersecty For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (04-15-2016)