•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supercharge or turbo?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

supercharge or turbo?

Ok, so I need some tips....I'm saving up to either supercharge or turbo my Aveo '06, to anyone who has done either, what are the pros and cons? any complicatins with either?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Re: supercharge or turbo?

I'm not in a good mood so I'm going to give the standard answer to first time posters, "try a search"

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

if you want speed by a corvette. i'm not in a good mood either. its daniels fault. he said he wasnt in a good mood first and it bummed me out. just kidding!!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

If your looking for a kit? Nothing out there that is notably reliable, either way.

Building your own?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

if you can fit a supercharger than more power to you.

i feel a negative vibe in this thread
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

i love supercharger or turbo threads.....my opinion would be to try and do a rotrex supercharger...there use to be that kalos they did with one for rallys.

Thanks

Either can be made to work how you want it to, generally.

Most cases:

Supercharger: Predictable powerband, less bang for your buck

Turbocharger: Predictability depends on setup, more bang for your buck.

The guy who was running the turbo with an auto... most likely had problems because the computer didn't expect the extra power. It wouldn't shift because the computer thought he was running full throttle the whole time? I suspect it would've been fine on a manual.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

~ Expanding on Exodus' post ~

Superchargers:
      1: Puts more stress on the drivetrain, as in the power bands, and the things that are connected/powered by the band, that and the cylinder block from the added pressure.
      2: Provides power from 0 to about 3-6k rpms (varying wildly depending on the car, in the Aveo's case, around the 3-4k rpm range), becomes ineffective beyond that.
      3: Excellent for short runs and quick acceleration from full stop.
      4: Technically cheaper and more "straightforward" in design/build than turbo, but needs more bracing since it's physically connected to the engine.

Turbochargers:
      1: Puts more stress on the cylinder block and not much else, but the stress can be random because the turbo blade speed is freely spinning (which is what they use wastegates for, in case it makes more boost than it can push out *BOOM*).
      2: Depending on what you use as in the size of the turbo, it can begin to boost anywhere from 2k-4k rpms, but it can boost as long as your engine can spin
      3: Better for high torque and acceleration while in motion, 'can' give the most power-per-$ of the two (depending on how much you tune it).
      4: Obviously more expensive, time consuming and complicated to construct/design/fabricate, and requires much more tine tuning other than just the ECU, as in the piping needs to be perfect or it might choke/restrict the exhaust, losing power/adding more stress, custom piping and bending costs more $ and time. However superchargers do need alot of work on the belts, adjusting the wheels, ect.

From what I learned from a well trusted turbo guy I know, cars like the Aveo are just plain better off using a turbo, superchargers need more room to be put on, they also usually get put on top of, on the side or on top/behind the engine, with the Aveo's engine bay being as small as it is, I'd wish you luck trying to find a place for it! Turbos on the other hand tend to be put on underneath, in front of or in front/under the engine, whichever is closer to the exhaust manifold.

I could go on but I think that's stuff you wanted to know.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      ~ Expanding on Exodus' post ~

Superchargers:
      1: Puts more stress on the drivetrain, as in the power bands, and the things that are connected/powered by the band, that and the cylinder block from the added pressure.
      2: Provides power from 0 to about 3-6k rpms (varying wildly depending on the car, in the Aveo's case, around the 3-4k rpm range), becomes ineffective beyond that.
      3: Excellent for short runs and quick acceleration from full stop.
      4: Technically cheaper and more "straightforward" in design/build than turbo, but needs more bracing since it's physically connected to the engine.

Turbochargers:
      1: Puts more stress on the cylinder block and not much else, but the stress can be random because the turbo blade speed is freely spinning (which is what they use wastegates for, in case it makes more boost than it can push out *BOOM*).
      2: Depending on what you use as in the size of the turbo, it can begin to boost anywhere from 2k-4k rpms, but it can boost as long as your engine can spin
      3: Better for high torque and acceleration while in motion, 'can' give the most power-per-$ of the two (depending on how much you tune it).
      4: Obviously more expensive, time consuming and complicated to construct/design/fabricate, and requires much more tine tuning other than just the ECU, as in the piping needs to be perfect or it might choke/restrict the exhaust, losing power/adding more stress, custom piping and bending costs more $ and time. However superchargers do need alot of work on the belts, adjusting the wheels, ect.

From what I learned from a well trusted turbo guy I know, cars like the Aveo are just plain better off using a turbo, superchargers need more room to be put on, they also usually get put on top of, on the side or on top/behind the engine, with the Aveo's engine bay being as small as it is, I'd wish you luck trying to find a place for it! Turbos on the other hand tend to be put on underneath, in front of or in front/under the engine, whichever is closer to the exhaust manifold.

I could go on but I think that's stuff you wanted to know.
      some of the stuff you said is true but for the most part you won't find a normal supercharger for the aveo, you would have to use a rotrex. and the size of the unit and pulley determine the powerband of the supercharger.

Thanks

Rotrex is a brand name. The design is called centrifugal and has been around for many years.

When the other guy said that turbos put more stress on the cyl block, that is incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast