•  

Thread: Stock Air-box Issues ?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Stock Air-box Issues ?

A side from performance reasons, Has anyone had to replace their stock Air-box because of failure do to the top plastic cover wanting to warp over time and not seal properly ?

Anyone use a K&N air filter in their stock Air-box?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I replaced my whole air box, yeah, you said not for performance, but it cleans the bay up and give it better flow, But a k&n filter would do a really good job of getting you some clean air and they last forever. I have my stock top to to my air box if you would to need it, would sell it to ya!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the offer sbelcher, mine isn't warped yet from the looks of things so far. From day one I haven't liked how that top was fasten down with screws on all sides but one, fender side. I would think with over time the engine compartment heat and people not tightening down the cover screws evenly, this could cause that cheesy plastic cover to take on a new shape?

Awhile back maybe 80,000 miles I had to change out the rubber air horn because it started cracking in between the flex part of the hose. The only way I discovered the cracked hose is when I had just changed engine oil and a few days later I noticed my clean oil wasn't as clean as it should be. So I started digging into why my oil was looking so dirty before its time and discovered the small cracks that had been letting the dirt into my engine.

Since I had to wait on a new hose I decided to replace my Wix air filter with a K&N. I have always heard good things about K&N So I thought I would give one a try. I have been very happy with the new K&N filter this far, as for the increased noticeable HP because of it, NO! LOL

I still try to be very careful every time I remove the air-box cover to make sure I get it back in the same place and it seal properly. I was just curious to know if anyone has had issues with their stock air-box ?

In my replacing my OEM rubber flexing air-box hose, I wasn't very impressed with the new GM OEM replacement hose. I would have thought someone could have either made the rubber a little thicker in that spot or did something to keep it from failing again within my next 80,000 miles.

What I did before I installed the new hose, I cleaned up the rubber where it flexed and filled the grooves all the way around with Black RTV Right-Stuff silicone. Then I wrapped it with clear plastic wrap before I installed it to keep from getting the silicone on everything. I have been very happy with the results so far and with each inspection of the hose, I don't think it will be failing me any time soon.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I got this in my Aveo. Ebay seller name in "Chromeintakes"
      New 04 05 06 07 08 Chevy Aveo 1 6 1 6L Air Intake Kit | eBay

Installs in 10 minutes and really cleans up the engine bay.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Looks cool and cleans up the engine bay, What about extreme cold weather performance ? I have an Alaska Aveo, it can and does get nasty cold in some parts.