•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to think Scootaloo HATES cold weather...

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

I'm starting to think Scootaloo HATES cold weather...

This morning, it got down to 17 degrees Fahrenheit in my area; and when I first started her, the power steering was stiff, and when I pulled out onto my road and tried to accelerate, she fell flat on her face and gave me the blinky check engine light of doom. Then she showed her classic "ATF is too cold, so NO 4TH GEAR FOR YOU" quirk. I'm beginning to suspect that Scootaloo HATES cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      This morning, it got down to 17 degrees Fahrenheit in my area; and when I first started her, the power steering was stiff, and when I pulled out onto my road and tried to accelerate, she fell flat on her face and gave me the blinky check engine light of doom. Then she showed her classic "ATF is too cold, so NO 4TH GEAR FOR YOU" quirk. I'm beginning to suspect that Scootaloo HATES cold weather.

All cars perform less well in cold weather. Apparently you have an automatic tranny. All Asian cars that have automatics won't go into high gear (AKA overdrive) until they have reached full operating temperature. That's normal. It's winter now, and it's cold.

(I don't know whether you are male or female, and you can say and do whatever you please, as you wish. But your calling your car by the pet name of Scootaloo seems somewhat childish. It's only a machine.)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      All cars perform less well in cold weather. Apparently you have an automatic tranny. All Asian cars that have automatics won't go into high gear (AKA overdrive) until they have reached full operating temperature. That's normal. It's winter now, and it's cold.

(I don't know whether you are male or female, and you can say and do whatever you please, as you wish. But your calling your car by the pet name of Scootaloo seems somewhat childish. It's only a machine.)
      you are entitled to your opinion, and quite frankly, as a 27 year old responsible adult male, I can be as childish as I want.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      We call my girlfriend's Aveo "Silver Pikachu". I don't name cars, but one day I said "Your car kind of looks like a silver Pikachu" and it stuck.

My friends insist on naming my cars if I don't So far I've had "Big Bertha" which was a Dodge Ram B1500 conversation van. Then I had "Ol' Betsy" which was my Grand Am. I haven't named my Grand Prix yet, but I'm sure someone will come up with a name for it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      My brother nicknames his cars.. I can barely keep track of what I owned, if they all had nicknames I would be even more lost..

You need one of these:

TRU-COOL THERMAL BYPASS VALVE COLD WEATHER TRANSMISSION COOLER LONG (OC-4739P6)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      My brother nicknames his cars.. I can barely keep track of what I owned, if they all had nicknames I would be even more lost..

You need one of these:

TRU-COOL THERMAL BYPASS VALVE COLD WEATHER TRANSMISSION COOLER LONG (OC-4739P6)
      actually, I might look into that.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      you are entitled to your opinion, and quite frankly, as a 27 year old responsible adult male, I can be as childish as I want.
      I understand. I'm much, much older than you, so that's why we think differently. Neither of us can help that, nor change how old we are, nor how we think at present.

We all call our cars names in our minds, usually pejoratively. When they don't start or run well, we say things like: You G-D SOB!!!
      But usually we don't reveal such things that we have in our minds in public - either positive or negative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (01-04-2017)

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I just did the conversion to Fahrenheit, I woke up to -21F. It's currently -33 Fahrenheit with the windchill. The cold shouldn't trigger the check engine light. But the overdrive quirk is programmed by GM to reduce wear. And the power steering fluid is just a little thick. A couple minutes driving and you'll be fine.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      I just did the conversion to Fahrenheit, I woke up to -21F. It's currently -33 Fahrenheit with the windchill. The cold shouldn't trigger the check engine light. But the overdrive quirk is programmed by GM to reduce wear. And the power steering fluid is just a little thick. A couple minutes driving and you'll be fine.
      Sure it reduces wear on the transmission, by transferring it to the engine at the most destructive part of its day: the first startup from stone cold.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      The cold start is just that, the few seconds as oil is trying to circulate. Engine 'wear' from cold starts is pretty low on the list of modern cars concerns. If you're worried about a cold day, let your car warm up for a minute or two before driving off. The only way to warm up a transmission is to drive it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast