•  

Thread: Hellp!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question Hellp!

Hey, I am a female college student who knows nothing about cars so I need some advice. Last year in May i went and got a 2005 chevy aveo with 83,000 miles on it. They wanted 7500 and I put 1500 down on it. The same day I drove it off the lot, it ran hot and I had to pull over. Comes to find out the gaskets on the manifold were leaking and had oil shooting out. The car lot fixed this and gave me a loaner car free of charge of course. When I got the car back, I had not drove a mile and it ran hot again and I took it back. This time the thermostat hose had busted and once again the car lot fixed this with no problem. I had electrical problems with the car such as the tail lights did not work because they light fixture was rigged together and the inside lights didnt work because the dimmer switch was messed up. Then one of my cluster box had to be replaced because it was starting to melt and it caused my tail lights not to work. Well now wit the car having 112,000 miles on it my timing belt broke, rephrase that it split down the middle, June 10. In February I got the timing belt checked, and I was told it looked fine, and it looked like the timing belt had been replaced recently. So far I have came out of pocket $600 bucks and the car is still not fixed. One mechanic thought it didnt mess up anything but after replacing the belt and the component he found out it messed up the valves. Then the car lot came and towed it now they keep giving me the run around. First excuse was the first mechanic didnt set the timing back right, then it was that he had to replace some off the valves and now they claim the head gasket and stuff will b in soon and my car will be ready next week, but my question is do I want this car back.. I still owe like 5000 on it, I go to school 4 hours away from the car lot, so if it tears up again, Im screwed!. I dont want to mess up my credit, but I also dont want to be using what money I do get to pay for a car that is tearing up. this was my first car and besides the drama I love my little white egg. I have read that even after the issues that a broke timing belt cause are fixed, there can be more issues that are costly. I know that because this is a older car I will have issues, But is it worth it?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      IF the car is fixed right, then you essentially will have a new top end at this point, which means the engine will be better than buying a new car within the same price range. But you have o make sure your mechanic is going to stand behind their work. Than all the proper timing components were replaced.

now the real issue is what are they going to try to charge you for. IF he screwed up the timing like you wrote, and that is what cause the valve damage, this work should be cost free to rectify the problem. But you would need the second shop to have verified the timing was off, and take it back to the first mechanic (they have insurance for this, and also contact the BBB). The big issue is time. How long between the first mechanic and the problems, or did he not fix it correctly and you had it towed from there?

honestly as well, this lot sounds like a bunch of crooks, or at most, they have good intentions but are selling crappy cars for huge mark up. I would probably look for a new mechanic/dealer after this issue is resolved. Ask around, use angieslist, etc. Find a good mechanic, use him for little things first to test his service/reliability/honesty.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      IF the car is fixed right, then you essentially will have a new top end at this point, which means the engine will be better than buying a new car within the same price range. But you have o make sure your mechanic is going to stand behind their work. Than all the proper timing components were replaced.

now the real issue is what are they going to try to charge you for. IF he screwed up the timing like you wrote, and that is what cause the valve damage, this work should be cost free to rectify the problem. But you would need the second shop to have verified the timing was off, and take it back to the first mechanic (they have insurance for this, and also contact the BBB). The big issue is time. How long between the first mechanic and the problems, or did he not fix it correctly and you had it towed from there?

honestly as well, this lot sounds like a bunch of crooks, or at most, they have good intentions but are selling crappy cars for huge mark up. I would probably look for a new mechanic/dealer after this issue is resolved. Ask around, use angieslist, etc. Find a good mechanic, use him for little things first to test his service/reliability/honesty.
      +1....................

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      That's the thing the second shop claimed the first shop screwed up the timing belt and that's all that was wrong then they cme back n said the valves were messed up n the gasket which is what the first shop said in the first place. After the mechanic told me it would b 1300 plus I got the car lot to tow it there which was two days apart. N now the lot has had the car 3 weeks.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Ok, screwing up the timing on the timing belt will mess up the valves. the head gasket should only be necessary because of the valve job. but since you have had other issues with leaks, there is a chance your car was overheated at some point. However, the head gasket will fix this as well.

did you pay the first shop anything? if so go get your money back. if it is that $600, then you will have that to put toward the dealer. see if they will help you on price any more because the head gasket / leaking issue has been there since they sold it to you.

MAKE SURE: the replace the idler, water pump, etc. And that they will give you their word they will do it right. In our state a mechanic is almost always responsible legally for bad work (the first mechanic screwed up). I am sure most stats have similar laws.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      You can always bring a gun with ya next time.................... >

Dont do that.

Hope you get this sh*t worked out. Rabbit has some good advice for ya and hes a very trusted member on this forum, Id take a listen to him.

You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.