Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

First Post.

Hey everyone!

I just recently got a 2007 Aveo 5.
      It's not my first choice, I had a 2000 S10, but it was becoming trouble.
      So my parents swapped it for the Aveo.

I'm not too fond of the car yet, but after browsing around here i've begun to take a liking to my new car.

I've got a few questions, which have more than likely been answered before and i'm sorry to bring them up again, as most 'n00bs' do.

But, my Aveo came with the most ridiculous radio in the world, plain AM/FM. So my dad purchased a Sony Xplod stereo from Wal-Mart. My question is, what are the wires on the stock harness. We want to splice them directly to the harness for the new stereo rather than spending money to get the adapter kit. I've gotta know what wires do what and all that.

Also, the hold button, my car is an automatic btw.
      I've heard the hold button is for traction control and i've heard it changes into a 3 speed manual.
      But i'd prefer to hear this from someone who knows from experience rather than a text book or a dealer's mouth.

Much appreciated!

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: First Post.

Welcome to the forums!
      The hold button simply makes the car stay in the current gear its in its not gonna shift.

As for the stereo i highly recommend you get the wire harness adapter for aftermarket decks, its like 15 buks but will save you alot of time and trouble figuring out the wires, plus if you sell the car, you plug the old system back in in less then 5 minutes. Get the adapter, dont splice the wires!
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

Welcome to the Forums!! Get those pics of your Aveo posted so we can see it!!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

I got my CD player installed.
      It's a Sony Xplod CDX-GT23W from Wal-mart, I got it for about $80.00, it's pretty nice.
      Next I need to get some new speakers for the doors and hatch, some tweeters and a new amp for my subs.

Today was the first day I have been able to drive my car, and I fell in love with it.
      I was just wondering, if you could compare the Aveo to another car speed wise, what could you compare it to.

Most of my friends drive imports that seem to run like they are demons.
      Honda SI Civics, Acura RSX, etc, etc.

My car seems to have some speed to it, it's definitely faster than my 2.2l S-10 was.
      My best friend has a 2.8L '93 S10 five speed and he wants to race me. I kinda laughed. But I was curious to see what you could compare the Aveo too. If possible let me know.

Just in case, I have the 1.6L DOHC, not to sure if they are different in any other of the Aveo's.

But.
      I must say.
      I'm here to stay.

I love my Aveo.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

go look up 1/4 mile times on different cars, i would say a stock automatic aveo would run (complete guess) around an 18 second 1/4 mile..?

they are pretty peppy on the highway if you can get the rpms up, the manual really starts to go when the up shift light is on.. but i come from vw's that like high rpms, and to me thats the whole purpose of a 16v. is high rpms.

if anything you might be close to a stock early 1990's honda. but i cant say that.

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks

This car is one of the slowest on the road around here, at 103hp, dont expect to beat any records.

As far as i know, i lost 90% of the races i do, not cause im a bad driver, but because the car is just not powerfull enough. I went to the 1/8th mile dragstrip quite a few times and i lost quite a few times too against all sorts of cars.

Acceleration wize, id compare it to a 1.7 Civic sedan which my roomate has and were pretty much neck and neck. The Yaris/Echo is slightly faster, never raced a Fit yet, the old volks 2.0's are slower, most 2.0 Golf's ive seen i could beat just cause they weight over 3000 pounds. From a stand still if you got good grip the car launches pretty fast, ive gotten ahead of alot of more powerfull cars at launch but as soon as you shift in 2nd they just slide past you.

If your friends drive RSX's and SI's you just gonna be left in the dust, your better off getting into their passenger seat LOL!
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Thanks

Either way, slow or not.
      It's got to be one of the most fun car's i've ever driven.

I'll more than likely just throw dual exhaust on it along with cold air, and just worry more or less about the beauty.
      I don't really care about it being fast, I want a 'head-turner', something that'll blow people's mind.

I'm from Alabama, and a terribly small town.
      No one even knew what my car was, and I like it that way. Everyone has Honda's and what not, I have the only Aveo so it feels pretty good.

So far with interior/exterior changes I have figured I wanted to:

Add HID lights.
      Lower it two inches.
      Throw some 17's on it. [until then, i'm going to repaint my steelies black and clear coat them. and paint my hubcaps blue]
      Black out the windows.
      Black out the taillights.
      Blue LED's inside.
      I kind of want to paint the interior plastic in some parts white.

If you know of anything someone completely broke can do, let me know. And if there is anyway to crawl my 103HP up to maybe 130+.

But I appreciate the help!
      And i'll have pictures of my beauty soon, we've had terrible weather lately.
      80 degrees down to 30, tornadoes and rain.

EDIT: Also are any parts on the Aveo interchangeable with any type of other cars? Other than the rims.

And this is my car before we drove it off the lot. I'll post the good pictures in the Photography section of the forum.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Is your Aveo the Special Value model without A/C? I noticed you mentioned the AM/FM radio, that's what my SV came with.

Thanks

Besides the AM/FM stereo, it just lacks cruise control.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

There is a possibility that a d16 header will work with our car, but no input on how much modification is needed.

Welcome to the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast