•  

Thread: Feats of Impressive Manuverability; Have a Tale? Share it!

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

Feats of Impressive Manuverability; Have a Tale? Share it!

well, I Demonstrated today the Aveo's rather large advantage of being classified as a Sub-Compact; I was leaving my school for the day (or at least tried to) when I was stopped by two of my classmates Pickup Trucks; one was parked right beside me in a PROPER Parking Spot, while the other was parked in front of a Garage door (which was NOT A parking Spot!) perpendicular to my front end making a rather Narrow Gap that would have stopped a bigger car dead in its tracks. but thanks to my Scoots being a Scant 67 Inches wide, I managed to squeeze through that narrow gap without Incident! (i also Love that fact that I can whip into a parking spot going the opposite direction of where I'm Pointing, while bigger cars would have to make a 3 point turn to get into the same Parking Spot!) if you have any Impressive Feats of Manuverability you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      well, I Demonstrated today the Aveo's rather large advantage of being classified as a Sub-Compact; I was leaving my school for the day (or at least tried to) when I was stopped by two of my classmates Pickup Trucks; one was parked right beside me in a PROPER Parking Spot, while the other was parked in front of a Garage door (which was NOT A parking Spot!) perpendicular to my front end making a rather Narrow Gap that would have stopped a bigger car dead in its tracks. but thanks to my Scoots being a Scant 67 Inches wide, I managed to squeeze through that narrow gap without Incident! (i also Love that fact that I can whip into a parking spot going the opposite direction of where I'm Pointing, while bigger cars would have to make a 3 point turn to get into the same Parking Spot!) if you have any Impressive Feats of Manuverability you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it!
      Well... let's talk about body width. Back in the bad ol' days of previous decades most cars, no matter how large or long they were, were certainly no wider, or not quite as wide as what we now have in our cars made in more recent decades.

I just measured the body width of my old '89 Galant. The body width is about 68", plus 5" for each side mirror. That is within an inch of the same as your Aveo (and mine, which is an '09). (The side mirrors add to the body width - unless you get out and fold them, or want to knock them off in a squeeze...)

It is good that cars have been made wider, because that adds to their stability in turning and cornering. I would never want to own any vehicle such as an SUV that is taller than it is wide - that makes it more prone to flipping over.

But when it comes to vehicle length - the Aveo has been described here as "half a car". As with most small, short cars, it can turn more sharply and be more agile when manoeuvering into tight spots.

Not that that is any special virtue of an Aveo. But it does have that advantage.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      True....when I choose to park in front there are always a few spots most people wouldnt dare squeeze into, n my aveo parallel parks perfectly. Its like having reserved parking n I love it.

Thanks
      Nothing like a small turning circle as well. An '09 Aveo is 10 m / 33 ft curb-to-curb.

The Firefly I drive is a bit tighter than that at ~31 ft. I love being able to U-turn from one side of the street to the other.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      theres another old trials/Tennessee farm boy trick if you have a front wheel drive car,, hold rear parking brake and crank wheel over,, either way,, drive,,, it will turn around pivoting on the inside rear wheel, especially short if the ground is a little muddy as Tennessee farms are likely to be,, buck