•  

Thread: Desperately want AC in my 2011 Aveo LS

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Desperately want AC in my 2011 Aveo LS

When I first got this car I didn't even think to check for AC in a car purchased in Florida, but as I left the lot, "oh hey where's the AC?"

Whoops.

Summers are unbearable. There are a lot of horrible things in this world but I reckon anyone can agree getting into an oven after work every day is just down right terrible.
      I have no idea where to start. I'm not very great at cars as this is my first one, but luckily it's had lots of issues for me to research and pay for. The prices I was quoted for the AC ranged from around 1300 for a private mechanic, and 2000 from the dealership. They said the evap and lines are already in, it's "dealer prepped."

Is this something I could do on my own? What parts do I need to do it?

My exact car is the 2011 Chevy Aveo Sedan LS, 1.6L Manual transmission.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Pretty doubtful you can do it yourself because freon is bad for environment, and you need to know what you're doing with it and freon costs quite a bit.... However, if you know what you're doing meaning you can get the brackets, and parts go for it.

Thanks

link for A/C INSTALL

Maybe this link will shed some light

https://community.cartalk.com/t/need...-07-aveo/47942
      Last edited by Mags2011; 07-22-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: to post link

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      (Just stopping in...)

If your aveo is AC ready. (look for a condenser in front of the radiator, and the expansion valve plug on the firewall on the passenger side near the serpentine belt). You can buy the switch for the dash, compressor, bolts, and lines and do 99% of the install yourself.

You need to go to the dealer to get programmed. I don't have the steps anymore. A search will probably find it. I found everything I needed online when I did it. Installing with used parts cost me about $300 at the time total.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to petrified.rabbit For This Useful Post:

Mags2011 (07-26-2020)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      (Just stopping in...)

If your aveo is AC ready. (look for a condenser in front of the radiator, and the expansion valve plug on the firewall on the passenger side near the serpentine belt). You can buy the switch for the dash, compressor, bolts, and lines and do 99% of the install yourself.

You need to go to the dealer to get programmed. I don't have the steps anymore. A search will probably find it. I found everything I needed online when I did it. Installing with used parts cost me about $300 at the time total.
      I stress the belt work the most. I could probably do this over the weekend myself if all it is is hanging out in the garage/hot sun and just tightening and untightening bolts and placing things in place, you know?

I'm 99% sure it's already AC prepped. I have the dash controls and AC kit and stuff in my ebay cart.

I have some questions though:
      1. Does the dash module (the piece with the dials and stuff) just clip in and out, and have basic plugs behind it? do I have to strip wires and connect them etc?
      2. Is belt work involved? and if so, how hard is it for a noob to get everything right so that my car works afterwards.
      3. If I can't afford to have the thing programmed and freon charged, will it be okay to drive in? Will be just like like before with no AC but the parts are all there? I'm butchering this question, but I think you get what I mean.
      4. Is this definitely something I can do on a weekend?

Keeping in mind my car knowledge is pretty much limited to checking my tire pressure and cleaning it with soap and water.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      1. The dash module IIRC is plug in, but I think it also has a cable pull that needs transferred. Its like a bike brake cable. Although I did this mod when I first bough my car, it has been 11 years..

2. You have to install the correct length belt. It does require belt work. There is a write up here:
      https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/...9-aveo5-15343/

3. NO programming will be fine. It just won't work. If you have a friend with the scan tool the steps can be found somewhere. I never properly charged mine, and it worked fine. I just used a can of r34 with oil and leak seal.. it was $15 at the time. I didn't have a dealership or anyone pull a vacuum or anything like that (I know you are supposed to).

4. I can't answer that. When I installed it, I did it in a day. I am "seasoned" as a mechanic though. I also have to tear apart more of the car because it was a first year model, no kit info was available yet, and I needed access to measure for bolts sizes, etc. It wasn't "proven" at the time. But I also shortened my shifter and modified other things while I have it apart..

Thanks
      Did you ever get this done? I can help. Let me know.

Thanks
      No actually, its been two years and I have just gone back to the drawing board after moving out of my parents house, getting a job, etc etc. now its summer of 2022 and Im sweating!

Thanks
      My 2011 Aveo has AC but when I run it, my little Aveo can barely function. At a stop sign, I have to turn the AC off to get going again. I can't pass anybody unless I turn it off. I just don't use it anymore. Roll down the windows and pray the stop lights aren't too long. And this summer has been horribly hot!!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Window film tint can reduce notably the temperature inside the car (5-10 degrees depending of the surfaces tinted.

Here in Spain, is illegal to tint the front windshield and the front side windows (even if the film is completely transparent), so this fix doesn't properly work in here, but I know than other countries are more permissive in this aspect (Portugal allows to tint all the windows). I'm not sure what's the case in Kansas.

If you don't like the dark tint style, you can also place some transparent UV film which reduce the amount of heat which enter to the car through the windows.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00016683/

Last edited by Enxebre; 08-05-2022 at 09:55 AM.