•  

Thread: aveoclub

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

aveoclub

is it just me, or does it seem like a few things are missing from our forum? I'm trying to find out if anything other that a wiring harness is needed for a stereo install on a hatch (a how-to if possible). just convinced our boss to get one for work, so we are gonna do it up how we see fit. i have a sedan, so we are trying to find out if the install is any different.

thanks guys.

Low n Slow

Thanks

Re: aveoclub

If you are looking for a stereo install for an Aveo 5, you will need more than just a harness. If you are installing a single DIN radio, you will need a full install kit, being the dash kit, wiring harness, and I believe an antenna adapter (don't quote me on the antenna adapter though).
      If you go to crutchfield.com to buy your radio, it will automatically coime with not only all the equipment needed, but step by step instructions.

The how to is actyally pretty simple. You will need a screw driver to remove the radio surrounds, then it is pretty much an un-bolt job to get the radio out. Disconnect the harness and you are ready to start your install.

For Single DIN radios, you will have to assemble the dash kit, which is pretty simple, the instruction are there with the dash kit on how to assemble it. Just make sure you get it to where the bolt holes are matching. Lock in the radio to the Dash kit. Make sure you have the harness secured in.
      NOTE:
      Electrical tape is good stuff, but NOT good for a stereo installation. Go out the extra couple dollars, get either the butt connectors or the knob connectors with the crimping tool. A good idea just for an added measure is to pick up some electrical safe silicone and heat shrink tubing (or plastic split tube and small zip ties) It just helps to keep it neat and managed.
      When you make your crimps, squeeze a little silicone in the opening. It will help protect the conductors. The heat shrink or split tube goes over the whole wiring set, sinch it down or heat shrink it together to keep it neat and pretty. No one wants their stereo wires hanging hap-hazardly around the dash. Not to mention, it lessens the likelyhood of wires getting hung, or insulation getting stripped off the wires and causing shorts.

After your harness is connected, your radio is installed in the dash kit, and your wires are all clean, just slide into place, and bolt the unit down.

Another note:
      I wouldn't say it, if I hadn't done it. Make sure you don't plug everything together until your radio is secured in the dash kit. And secure it in the dash kit BEFORE you bolt down the dash kit. I can't tell you how many times I have wired up and connected everything then realized that it wasn't routed through the dash kit first.

Anyway, I hope this helps!
      4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3078012

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

It looks as a single din deck would fit right in without the install kit.
      Only replacing the location of the factory single din deck.

Thanks

got it handled. thanks for the info guys!
      will post pics when time allows.....

Low n Slow