•  

Thread: CNET on 2012 Sonic LTZ (Nov 8, 2011)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

CNET on 2012 Sonic LTZ (Nov 8, 2011)

CNET also posted a video review of the Sonic LTZ this week at: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Reviewer begins by dissing the bright yellow Aveo that's served as CNET's electronics test platform, so don't bother watching if miffed by even light Aveo bashing.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The bad: Onboard navigation is not available. The Bluetooth system does not make the phone's contact list available through voice command.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      the phone's contact list might actually depend on the phone... unless he wants it to post on the radio screen...
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by daug1502 View Post
      the phone's contact list might actually depend on the phone... unless he wants it to post on the radio screen...
      It does depend on the phone. I'm yet to come across a car that pulls the contacts from the phone to the car....And a lot of people complain about it. But it's always on the phones end that that feature isn't compatible

Thanks
      They would have to standardize the phones contact list across all platforms for a feature like that to ever function. I have had phones that you could search for a persons name with voice commands via bluetooth or not. It was even before the smart phone explosion. That phone had good recognition even without thecomputing power they have today. CNN i think needs a new review guy for their cars.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cnet reviewer
      Getting this small engine up to speed from a stop took some anticipation, so much so that I actually stalled it a time or two. And dealing with San Francisco's steep hills, it was occasionally necessary to downshift all the way to first gear, as second gear couldn't cut it. Because the engine isn't that suitable for driving on hills, Chevy equipped the car with a hill-hold feature, a necessary bit of safety tech to keep from either stalling while pointing up at the sky or rolling backward into a looming SUV.

This is the paragraph that caught my attention. The throttle response is so slow on my Aveo I still haven't completely adjusted to it with nearly 40K on the clock. There is no way I'd pay more than 12k for a car with such an awful throttle response. When I first read about the "hill hold" feature being standard, my first thought was: is the throttle response THAT bad? It sounds like maybe it is...really a shame if that's the case. The speed at which ABS sensors respond tells me there is no excuse for throttle response time to be more than 100 milliseconds...my car feels more like 600+ milliseconds. No problem for an automatic but very annoying with a manual.

Before I get bashed for hating on the Aveo...I'm quite happy with it relative to what I paid for it.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      most drive by wire cars have some sort of delay, it "smooths" out the throttle based on signal from the pedal.

The thing this guy describes sounds like an under power issue from him leaving behind his corvette, mustang etc to test the aveo,
      Any decent driver should be able to adjust to a car within an hour or so. He talks about stalling the car etc, ive done that on a few test drives when clutches/throttle response and such have been very different. My r32, when i test drove it, i stalled it at every light, as it was my first hydraulic clutch i drove in a long time (at the time).

Thanks
      After test driving a camaro SS, with those brembo brakes, I became nervous about the aveos stopping power.

2008 Aveo5 SV