•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seafoam questions and concerns

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Seafoam questions and concerns

Ok I know this has been covered in a couple thread but some things mentioned have left me worried. I would really like to try this stuff seeing as I opened up the butterfly valve and felt inside and there was a bunch of oily residue. This is what concerns me:
      Warning: your O2 sensors and/or spark plugs may get moderately dirtier if this is the first time you've cleaned your intake manifold and/or throttle body. You may wish to do this for the first time right before you install new ones.
      combined with what happened in daniels thread: http://www.aveoclub.net/phpBB3/viewt...&hilit=seafoam

The spark plugs I can deal with getting messed up seeing as I planned to change them anyway, but o2 sensors are a different story because i think i remember them being expensive when I had to replace one before. And the reason I had to replace it before is because my intake sucked in a good amount of oil and when it burnt up it fouled up the plug. So what are the chances of the o2 plug getting messed up?

A couple more questions I have too. one is how long do I keep it in the oil? and the other is who has done it on the aveo? also where does it get sucked into the engine at, picture please if possible?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re: Seafoam questions and concerns

When we had the SeaFoam rep here at work I asked him when he thought you should start using SeaFoam in a new car and he said the day you drive the car off the lot. He also told us that you can leave it in the oil between oil changes you don't have to drain the oil after a few days unless it is the first time you are using it, then you should drain it and put fresh oil and SeaFoam in because the oil gets dirty very fast the first time you use it. One of the guys here has had it in his car for over a year and he hasn't had a problem.
      2008 Pontiac Wave SE Sedan Black

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PartsChick
      When we had the SeaFoam rep here at work I asked him when he thought you should start using SeaFoam in a new car and he said the day you drive the car off the lot. He also told us that you can leave it in the oil between oil changes you don't have to drain the oil after a few days unless it is the first time you are using it, then you should drain it and put fresh oil and SeaFoam in because the oil gets dirty very fast the first time you use it. One of the guys here has had it in his car for over a year and he hasn't had a problem.
      yea see thats the thing, hes used it since he got the car. Now my thinking is this, it loosens up all the grim, but the amount of grim depends on how long you have had the car and the last time youve used seafoam. So i have 65,000 miles on my car (4 years) and never used seafoam so I image there will be alot of crap to burn. I don't want that crap to foul my o2 sensor....anyone have any experience with my situation?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

The rep said you will not have a problem because Seafoam is o2 sensor safe. Kleen Flo has a similar product that only goes in the fuel. The thing about seafoam is all the carbon is burned up in the combustion chamber so it won't harm the o2. My uncle put it in his truck and he has not had a problem and the oil turned black in two days. Then he changed the oil again and the truck runs like a dream.
      2008 Pontiac Wave SE Sedan Black

Thanks

anyone else have any experience with it

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

i always just stick half in the crankcase and half in gas tank. drive a while, then go get an oil change. i also pour a bit into the throttle body but not much, just a lil. thats it. it dont hurt nuthin.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikedudley17
      i always just stick half in the crankcase and half in gas tank. drive a while, then go get an oil change. i also pour a bit into the throttle body but not much, just a lil. thats it. it dont hurt nuthin.
      what method did you use to get it in the crank case?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AVE0SAM
      Quote Originally Posted by mikedudley17
      what method did you use to get it in the crank case?
      open up oil cap while its runnin and pour.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

i dont have any experience with seafoam in the car but i use it in my BMW K1200LT motorcycle and it made a notable difference.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo
      i dont have any experience with seafoam in the car but i use it in my BMW K1200LT motorcycle and it made a notable difference.
      i have a good feeling it will just from what i got on my finger from beyond the butterfly valve. especially in my aveo because i got oil sucked in through my intake and burned up in the engine by accident .... i am more worried about the side effects on the o2 sensor than if it will help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast