•  

Thread: Scan Tool ???

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Scan Tool ???

Newbie here, wanting to buy a OBD2 Auto Scanner for my 07 Aveo5. Just wanted to know from all the Forum members who might have their own, what would be a good little all around scan tool for my Aveo5 ?

I am not interested in buying a scanner that has all the whistles and bells that I will never use, just one that will read the codes and maybe relearn the ECM if need be.

I bought my 07 Aveo5 new in Anchorage AK, and it has 135,000 on it now. I do all my own service and maintenance on it and for the most part, its been a pretty good little roller skate. I know the day will come when the check engine light will come on and I want to be ready for it.

I am glad to have found your Aveo Forum with all the other Aveo owners who share their input on this little car. I plan to keep it and try for the 500,000 on the original motor and manual trans. A side from the Rocks, Deer and Hailstones, the rest of the car gets religious service and maintenance.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have an Actron CP9580, useful for OBD codes but it will not read GM body & airbag codes.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      It's not in front of me, but I think I have this one here:
      http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...3418299&sr=1-3
      All I really need. It gives you the basic code, which you can google for more detailed info. Plus once you google the code and your specific car, you usually get a good shot of determining the problem. It'll reset any check engine light as well. There's even cheaper ones out there.

I also got a ScanGauge II for father's day this year. It's pretty cool, you can keep an eye on temperatures, gas mileage, etc. Plus it acts as a basic scan tool as well.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have a cable i bought on ebay, and movi. Its Apple specific, but does a lot more than a basic scan tool.

I had a bluetooth box and a AP on my phone, but I gave it to my brother. It works very well too.

Both do more than "stand alone" scan tools until you start spending a couple hundred bucks.
      Last edited by petrified.rabbit; 10-16-2014 at 01:21 AM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Some scanners can relearn the ecms.I have a 2010LT sedan and only a dealer can reprogram the ecm.Just saying?Here is a tip.When you get a P0302 code check that the valve cover gasket did not leak into the spark area.This ruined my oem coil assembly.After 2 Jobber coil packs and much consternation I put the oem(new) replacement coil pack.Elapsed time approx.3years to fix.Hint when you not little pulsations while accelerating suspect the coil assembly due to oil contamination.If not verify spark plug change interval.Failure to heed this will eventually cause the P0402 code to appear.Again catalytic converter is the process of being installed.You learn something new every day.