•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: runs rought, black sout out tailpipe.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

runs rought, black sout out tailpipe.

I just did the head redone, ( timing pulley broke and bent 4 valves) new timing belt, pulleys, and water pump.
      New plugs and MAP sensor. it would not run with the old Map sensor plug in, but it did idle with it unplug)

Sometimes it will fire and run. When it does run, the idle is a little rought, but a lot when you step on the gas. there is black sout out the tail pipe, and the plugs are black.

I did a compression tests and each cyclinder is about 185 psi.

I did notice that when it is running and you take off the oil filler cap there is vaucum there. you can tell by putting your palm over the oil filler hole.(don't know if that is normal for the e-TEk engine, can't recall any other engine like that)
      Ran for about 5 mins and no codes on the scanner.(yet)
      any ideas what it could be, Ran good before the head took a hit.
      please help?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Any chance one of the pullys could have gone off a notch during the install and tensioning process of the timing belt?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Any chance one of the pullys could have gone off a notch during the install and tensioning process of the timing belt?
      maybe, it did look good at the time.

This time ,It started right away, ran the same. I did the idle relearn. turn the car off after it ran for 15minites. Then it wouldn't fired again. Read the codes and got 106. which is Manifold Absolute Pressure ciruit Range/Performance Problem. It is a New Map, I also try a used Map before I brought the new one. The old Map only ran when it was unplugged , but it did started each time , but ran rought. I sprayed started fuild around the manifold and vacum lines. there are no leaks.
      Read that a stuck- open EGR value, or The idle air control motor could causes the pressure problems.

One thing that is differ that my Tracker and firefly is The vacum that I feel when I take off the oil filler cap. could someone check by taking off their oil filler cap off when the motor is running and place their palm over the hole.And see if there is vacum.

Thanks
      Yes, these engines do have vacuum at the oil fill cap. If this were my vehicle, and it was running well before the belt broke, the first suspect would be something wrong with all of the work that was done - and even more so if I did the job myself

Thanks
      I re-check the timing marks and it is dead-on. My brother-in-law give me the car, when the timing pulley broke, so I don't know how well it was running. The head was re-done in a shop, and I had a mechiacn freind heip put it back together.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 89 FIREBIRD View Post
      ... My brother-in-law give me the car, when the timing pulley broke, so I don't know how well it was running. ....
      Well that's different than what you wrote in your OP ("Ran good before the head took a hit"). My last comment was based on your original statement. So, what you should do now is ask your BIL if it was running poorly and had that same 106 before the belt went South. If yes, then you can diagnose the current problem as being not related to the recent work (a vacuum gauge would be helpful).

Thanks
      He said it was running good, but I know my brother-in-law, he's clueless. He didn't know even that the warnings lights in the clock display was not working. only the door ajar was working. I replace the clock unit and the Daytime running light Mod. because that was not working even thouhgt he said it was.. He is cluessless when it comes to cars. what should the reading be with a vaccum gauge?

Thanks
      Normal is a steady reading in the 17"-21" range at idle, and steady but higher at 3K (for altitudes of 2000' and less). Running poorly, your gauge is almost definitely going to show something other than that. Check to see not only the HG values, but also the range and frequency that the needle moves. Depending on what the gauge shows, it may help zero in on the problem.

Thanks
      Try to start it today with and without the map sensor , it did not even fired this time. The other time when I took the post off the battery and then try it did start and ran rich. But not this time..put on new wires.

Thanks
      Can the pcm go bad because the battery was off for 1 1/2 months? Can you buy a new pcm already program for the car? Or a use one? I was told by the GM shop that it a pcm need to be program by and only by GM. And they need the car to do it. At $125 per hour plus 13 percent tax. For my bike and tracker a got a reman ecm and just put it in and it ran right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast