•  

Thread: RPM's not going over 2,000-2,500.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

RPM's not going over 2,000-2,500.

I hope someone will understand what is going on and can offer some help.

I have an 06 LS Sedan, automatic. Engine will start and idle normally but after a while can go up to about 1,200 rpms and become shaky when idling(at this point even if floored, the rpms will not go over 2,000-2,500. Most times this can be temporarily resolved by shutting off the engine and cranking it back up.

Once idling is back to normal, when put into gear, I have to floor it so that it can move or else one of two things happen...1) the car will stall, or 2) it will react as if i am not stepping on the gas. And when I floor it, it will have a delayed response.(not that I'm expecting to peel out.) But even then it's still delayed. If I reach a steady speed, for example 45 mph or any other speed higher than that, I cannot coast or slow down or it will go into that funk I spoke of earlier where the engine will not pick up rpms. At that point I have to shut off the engine, wait a few seconds and will start right up idling normally and start the process all over again. When I do get it to go without having to slow down the engine runs smoothly as if nothing is wrong.(but I must watch out with slowing down.)

I recently have been going through some financial hardships so I am trying to keep the fix as affordable as possible.

ANY HELP would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by invisible; 01-20-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      How many miles on your vehicle, and what maintenance has been done (especially recently)? Did this begin suddenly, or a while ago and steadily getting worse? Did you ever see the yellow check engine light come on? Unfortunately something like this can be caused by a number of things, such as spark plugs, wires, fuel pump, and a bunch of others as well. Typically it begins with finding out if the problem is fuel or spark, and progresses along one of those 2 paths. But you would need to be able to do some basic stuff with tools, in order to avoid having to take it to a shop to have this diagnosis done, followed by whatever repair is necessary. Do you work on cars at all? If you don't, perhaps you know someone who does, and who can help at least get the diagnosis part done.
      Last edited by avguy; 01-20-2013 at 02:00 AM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      My car has 70k and has progressively gotten worse. No check engine light has come on that i've noticed. I will start on those basic items first such as plugs and wires. Fuel pump is a bit pricey for my budget right now, but if there's no way around it, then I will replace.

I will start with that and get back to you.

Thank You.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      coil pack is a good possibility

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
      My car has 70k and has progressively gotten worse. No check engine light has come on that i've noticed. I will start on those basic items first such as plugs and wires. Fuel pump is a bit pricey for my budget right now, but if there's no way around it, then I will replace.

I will start with that and get back to you.

Thank You.
      Whoa, I wasn't suggesting to actually do any of those things, and the fuel pump was just used as an example of one thing on the fuel system side. Now, that being said, spark plugs isn't a bad thing to do, particularly if they haven't ever been replaced in your vehicle. What I was really getting at, is that the problem should be diagnosed systematically, rather than just hanging on a bunch of parts. Most of us who DIY do hang parts sometimes, especially when the problem matches something common for that vehicle. But there are lots of parts, and it gets expensive fairly quick. Try the plugs, but if you still have the same thing after that, see if you can find someone who can help you diagnose it.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Whoa, I wasn't suggesting to actually do any of those things, and the fuel pump was just used as an example of one thing on the fuel system side. Now, that being said, spark plugs isn't a bad thing to do, particularly if they haven't ever been replaced in your vehicle. What I was really getting at, is that the problem should be diagnosed systematically, rather than just hanging on a bunch of parts. Most of us who DIY do hang parts sometimes, especially when the problem matches something common for that vehicle. But there are lots of parts, and it gets expensive fairly quick. Try the plugs, but if you still have the same thing after that, see if you can find someone who can help you diagnose it.
      He's got a Point: Diagnosing the Problem Properly is a LOT Cheaper then just Throwing Parts at it and seeing what sticks.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I would try to "notice" if the check engine light is on or not..

but these guys are right, you could keep throwing part at it with no fix, and waste money. Or do a good diagnostic look over, and fix the problem. You might be in limp mode. You might have a clogged cat. You might has a very simple solution like the need to clean the air filter.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

RPM's not going over 2,000-2,500.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
      I hope someone will understand what is going on and can offer some help.

I have an 06 LS Sedan, automatic. Engine will start and idle normally but after a while can go up to about 1,200 rpms and become shaky when idling(at this point even if floored, the rpms will not go over 2,000-2,500. Most times this can be temporarily resolved by shutting off the engine and cranking it back up.

Once idling is back to normal, when put into gear, I have to floor it so that it can move or else one of two things happen...1) the car will stall, or 2) it will react as if i am not stepping on the gas. And when I floor it, it will have a delayed response.(not that I'm expecting to peel out.) But even then it's still delayed. If I reach a steady speed, for example 45 mph or any other speed higher than that, I cannot coast or slow down or it will go into that funk I spoke of earlier where the engine will not pick up rpms. At that point I have to shut off the engine, wait a few seconds and will start right up idling normally and start the process all over again. When I do get it to go without having to slow down the engine runs smoothly as if nothing is wrong.(but I must watch out with slowing down.)

I recently have been going through some financial hardships so I am trying to keep the fix as affordable as possible.

ANY HELP would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance.
      Invisible, Sorry to hear you're having these issues with your Aveo and understand your frustrations. According to your post, I would have to check first, but it sounds like you are most likely out of your powertrain and bumper to bumper warranties by time. I do agree with the others on the thread that getting your Aveo diagnosed is the first step in determining what needs repair. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your Chevy dealership. Because I am not a certified mechanic, I am unable to offer a diagnosis or give DIY tips, but I can check to see if there are any open recalls or special coverages that may be possibly related to what you're experiencing and would be happy to schedule an appointment.

If so, please private message me your last 8-digits of your VIN, first and last name, contact number and your preferred GM dealership. I look forward to your reply. Good luck with everything and I hope your repairs are of minimal cost.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

Last edited by Chevy Customer Svc; 01-21-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html