•  

Thread: Need O2 Sensors

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Need O2 Sensors

So I need O2 sensors for my 2006 special value aveo (possibly a catalytic converter too)

Can anyone point me in the right direction in buying the O2 sensors (upstream and downstream)? Thanks.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I believe a large majority of the time it's the upstream sensor that goes bad, and replacing it takes care of the problem. Are you getting codes or other performance data that showing problems with both sensors and the cat as well?
      AFA buying goes, I'm not aware of a specific O2 sensor which doesn't work ok on our Aveos - maybe someone else here has had problems and will post about that. Assuming none are bad, then just go for the best price. There can be quite a large difference on the various sites and stores. Earlier this week I paid $47 shipped for an O2 sensor for our Dodge Caravan from a popular online store. This sensor had a range of prices elsewhere, all the way up to $74 (same make/part #).

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      I believe a large majority of the time it's the upstream sensor that goes bad, and replacing it takes care of the problem. Are you getting codes or other performance data that showing problems with both sensors and the cat as well?
      AFA buying goes, I'm not aware of a specific O2 sensor which doesn't work ok on our Aveos - maybe someone else here has had problems and will post about that. Assuming none are bad, then just go for the best price. There can be quite a large difference on the various sites and stores. Earlier this week I paid $47 shipped for an O2 sensor for our Dodge Caravan from a popular online store. This sensor had a range of prices elsewhere, all the way up to $74 (same make/part #).
      I planned on replacing both just because I haven't ever replaced them on the car. What I can't seem to understand is the difference between the upstream and downstream ones...most ones that I look at are labeled as "rear" most arent upstream AGH im so confused

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Lizamasllama View Post
      I planned on replacing both just because I haven't ever replaced them on the car. What I can't seem to understand is the difference between the upstream and downstream ones...most ones that I look at are labeled as "rear" most arent upstream AGH im so confused
      It would be much better if they only used one way to describe these sensors, but I think the various descriptions are as follows: upstream=front=before cat=in front of cat; downstream=rear=after cat=behind cat. The other issue is universal versus "exact fit". Universal might require cutting/fitting wires, and in some cases may not work at all in some vehicles. Exact fit should always be just that - plug and play. Surprisingly, exact fit sometimes cost less than universal
      How many miles on your Aveo? Are you seeing recent performance problems? Personally, I wouldn't consider changing an O2 sensor unless there is a code, or performance issues that might point to that sensor. One helpful indicator is gas mileage. I keep track of MPG, and would start to think about things like O2 sensors if it began to go South. Skipping or hesitation is another big red flag.
      Last edited by avguy; 02-23-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      It would be much better if they only used one way to describe these sensors, but I think the various descriptions are as follows: upstream=front=before cat=in front of cat; downstream=rear=after cat=behind cat. The other issue is universal versus "exact fit". Universal might require cutting/fitting wires, and in some cases may not work at all in some vehicles. Exact fit should always be just that - plug and play. Surprisingly, exact fit sometimes cost less than universal
      How many miles on your Aveo? Are you seeing recent performance problems? Personally, I wouldn't consider changing an O2 sensor unless there is a code, or performance issues that might point to that sensor. One helpful indicator is gas mileage. I keep track of MPG, and would start to think about things like O2 sensors if it began to go South.
      Well here's the deal the car has 145k miles (3/4 of them highway) and the check engine light came on about 15k miles ago. The car won't even pass inspection right now because the tires need to be replaced and the check engine light is on. My dad said he would let me have the car if I got it street legal again, so I'm trying to spend as little as I can to do this...He said when he took it to the shop it came back with O2 sensor errors, anyways I found them on autorock for 35 bucks a pop and it says they fit upstream and downstream.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Lizamasllama View Post
      Well here's the deal the car has 145k miles (3/4 of them highway) and the check engine light came on about 15k miles ago. The car won't even pass inspection right now because the tires need to be replaced and the check engine light is on. My dad said he would let me have the car if I got it street legal again, so I'm trying to spend as little as I can to do this...He said when he took it to the shop it came back with O2 sensor errors, anyways I found them on autorock for 35 bucks a pop and it says they fit upstream and downstream.
      Ok, now replacing the sensor makes sense. But, you should just try the upstream sensor first because that usually solves the problem. Based on what you wrote, I assume you're looking at the APWI 4413. They don't say how long the wires are, but they must be at least 16" in order to fit upstream. But if they're much longer you might have to cut/splice in order to avoid the wire hanging free and getting cooked. Maybe someone else can chime in about how the quality of this particular sensor might be.

Thanks
      Hey Guys well for knowing the best place of buying O2 sensor must visit that url:

buyautoparts.com/oxygen_sensor.htm

Sensors Manufacturers

Last edited by markspend01; 08-31-2013 at 02:52 PM.