•  

Thread: how smart are you? no spark, repeatedly blowing DIS fuse. (Update: SOLVED!)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question how smart are you? no spark, repeatedly blowing DIS fuse. (Update: SOLVED!)

ok
      thanks for the add......let me see if i can summarize this. 18 yr old Daughters 2007 Chevy Aveo 1.6 L manual......car started sputtering....... shes head to collage in 1.5 months. this is a must fix..ASAP

1. she limped it to Autozone, code P0300 misfire.
      2. calls dad, I said start with the plugs.
      2. Boyfriend Removed and replaced plugs. two plug ports, full of oil. not good.
      3. calls dad, dad says if its running better drive it home slowly. 20 miles, Oil leak is a concern..
      4. daughter calls.... its running better, but still stumbling not as bad, drive home slowly, dad says.
      5. daughter calls says it dyed and she is stuck
      6. What happened dad says?
      7 Dont know, Daughter says; lost power steering and brakes, coasted to the side of the road and turned it off.
      8.Dad Arrives and is confused about the relationship between stumbling / misfire and loss of Power steering and brakes.

9. Daughter defends her experiences.dad backs off. lol
      10.replaced plug wires, coil pack,value cover, crank and cam sensors on side of road.
      11. no spark from any plug or plug wire. confirmed with spark tester.
      12. pushed car home.
      13. by luck, i determined the DIS Fuse was blowing, started it at dusk and seen the spark from the fuse box.
      14. determined that ever time i turn the key to start ( not on ) DIS fuse blows.
      15. disconnected the Front Harness to Engine Harness isolation the engine components from the fuse box
      16. dis fuse stopped blowing. OK good news...., Whats on this circuit?
      17. determined components on this fuses circuit (via chiltons wire sch) are: both O2 sensors, evap canister purge Solenoid, ECM, Ac Cmprsr relay and Ignition coil module.

18. started unplugging components one at a time, reconnected harness each time and retesting the fuse. fuse still blows. So this rules out a bad component, on to the wiring.

19. NOW...all circuit components on this circuit are unplugged except for ECM and DIS fuse still blows.
      20. Unplugged the ECM, Reconnected the front harness to engine and no blown fuse.
      21. I have continuity along all the components wires back to the fuse box

is it safe to say that my ecm has shorted out internally? and if so why would this happen? the ECM will shut down fuel and spark to cylinders if it detects severe misfires, so how do i tell it that the misfires are fixed? maybe the stumbling was a bigger warning than just a fowled plug? is there anything else i can check before i running out and buy a new ecm? maybe a short to ground? and if so where would i start?
      Last edited by ddckec; 06-28-2018 at 08:03 PM.