•  

Thread: Grinding noise right after starting the engine??

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Grinding noise right after starting the engine??

hey everyone i need some help,

I've got a 2009 Aveo and if it doesn't run for a few hours, once you start it there is a grinding noise coming from the engine bay area for a couple seconds and then it goes away, but if the engine is warm it doesn't do it. What could possibly be the problem?

greatly appreciated for your help.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by christoff View Post
      hey everyone i need some help,

I've got a 2009 Aveo and if it doesn't run for a few hours, once you start it there is a grinding noise coming from the engine bay area for a couple seconds and then it goes away, but if the engine is warm it doesn't do it. What could possibly be the problem?

greatly appreciated for your help.
      Starter, most likely. I can't think of anything else that would make grinding noise upon starting from a cold start and start quietly in a warm start.

How many miles are on it?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Does it run like a diesel , then go away as it warms up??

Thanks
      I have a 2009 aveo with the same noise. Only hear the grinding noise in the morning after starting the cold engine. Rest of the day it starts fine no noise. It seems to have started after we replaced the AC compressor. All bolts are tight. Any ideas?

It doesn't sound like the starter motor to us.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by htbiker View Post
      I have a 2009 aveo with the same noise. Only hear the grinding noise in the morning after starting the cold engine. Rest of the day it starts fine no noise. It seems to have started after we replaced the AC compressor. All bolts are tight. Any ideas?

It doesn't sound like the starter motor to us.
      Does the noise occur during starting, or after the car is running? How long does it continue before it goes away?

Thanks
      1 or 2 seconds after the car is started we'll hear the noise for only 2 seconds. It seems to be coming from the area of either the timing belt or serpentine belt, not sure about this. Today with the hood up we heard it several times when the car was started in addition to when it was started cold.

Thanks
      1 or 2 seconds after the car is started we'll hear the noise for only 2 seconds. It seems to be coming from the area of either the timing belt or serpentine belt, not sure about this. Today with the hood up we heard it several times when the car was started in addition to when it was started cold.
      Here's how a starter works: click here

It sounds like your starter is allowing its pinion gear to continue to contact the flywheel for several seconds after the engine is running. This can damage the flywheel - if the flywheel becomes damaged it's an expensive job to replace it. The problem is either the starter or with the ignition (key) switch that supplies power to the starter motor. Usually it's the starter itself. Have it checked out or replace the starter yourself.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      ... It seems to have started after we replaced the AC compressor. ...
      And that would be my primary suspect. Considering that these remans are built by Chinese kids who are pushed to work as fast as they can, would it be a big surprise if this compressor was bad right out of the box? You can narrow the issue down by pulling off the serp belt and running your short testing again. Naturally you don't want to run without the alt for anything beyond the few seconds it will take to determine if the noise is still there with the belt off. If the noise disappears, you could fiddle with the comp and try to determine if the pulley or bearing is bad. But personally I would skip the fiddling and just return it, hoping that the next one on the shelf works ok.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      And that would be my primary suspect. Considering that these remans are built by Chinese kids who are pushed to work as fast as they can, would it be a big surprise if this compressor was bad right out of the box? You can narrow the issue down by pulling off the serp belt and running your short testing again. Naturally you don't want to run without the alt for anything beyond the few seconds it will take to determine if the noise is still there with the belt off. If the noise disappears, you could fiddle with the comp and try to determine if the pulley or bearing is bad. But personally I would skip the fiddling and just return it, hoping that the next one on the shelf works ok.
      If the pulley bearings were bad, or if the new compressor bearings were bad, the noise wouldn't go away so soon. In fact the noise would be there more often and/or consistently.

I dislike cheap Chinese goods. But there is such a thing as coincidence. And we can't blame Chinese manufacturing for everything that might go wrong.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      I dislike cheap Chinese goods. But there is such a thing as coincidence. And we can't blame Chinese manufacturing for everything that might go wrong.
      Sadly, we can. In the last 3 or 4 months almost every rotating part (p.s. pump, alternator, water pump etc) we have got from a supplier that sources from China has failed within days. My warranty claims and losses are through the roof. I'm in boycott mode now.