•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather problems?

If you take it in, they should replace it without any hassle

Well, cars into the dealer. I gave a big long list of problems and the shop foreman took over working on my car. yay me.

They're going to put a new ecm sometime in the future. I had an engine coolant leak which is being fixed. I told him about all the codes you all got and he couldn't find any, weird?

I also let slip that I had reset my ecm using the battery, he wasn't impressed and gave me a little bit of hell about not using the computer hooked up to your engine, etc...

So, I'll wait and see.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Unless you have a code reader that can clear the check engine light, I wouldn't clear them myself. When the light comes on, it's usually for a reason. Even if it's just for a sensor, better to see what the code is than to just guess.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

No, I tried to reset the ecm by taking the negative terminal off of the battery. It was the solution recommended by MMardouh(something like that) on daewootech.com. I only did this because I installed new components to my car: muffler, k&n filter.

I haven't had the car 2 days now. They said that I had a coolant leak and that they had to get a new speciality part made new for my car. They're going to put a new faulty part for the time being.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      coolant leak into the engine?

I don't know where the coolant went, all I know is that I filled it and then it was gone.
      Apparently, in my case the housing on the thermostat was bad, that's the new part that they're building(or whatever) to replace. It might have been my car was using all the coolant rather than a leak.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      yea coolant in the piston chambers equals not good so thats why i asked but if its else where then there is no problem

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      on a curious thought, has anyone toasted a headgasket yet? How do they hold up?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      think roro blew a headgasket on his old aveo... he was running a 75 or so shot of nitrous in a pure drag car, though.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: Cold weather problems?

This is the third winter now in my 06 Aveo and I borrowed a code reader from a friend who works at a pontiac dealer.
      finely today I reproduced the CEL for the 2nd time this winter and 4th time since buying the car in may 06.
      I got the exact same 3 codes ontarian_frog got.
      p1516
      p2106
      p2110
      My friend talked to a tech about the codes and printed off a page from GM's knowledge base search results witch showed the TSB
      #06-06-04-050A dated Feb,22 2008
      It has been as low as -31c (without windchill) within the past 2 days here in Winnipeg MB. Canada.
      The symptoms I experience are poor execration/RPM, sputtering or miss-firing and the engine shutting off. this has happened with and without the block heater being plugged in. another thing I THINK is related is the gas tank being less than half full because that has been the case every time while experiencing theses symptoms with the CEL. I tend to keep my tank toped up.

I have an appointment tommorw afternoon and am hoping to get an ECM update before my warrantee expires. I will post back with details.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast