•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aveo Timing Belt

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Aveo Timing Belt

In Australia they recommend a timing belt change every 60,000 kilometers or 45,000 miles. The issue isn't the belt itself breaking breaking. The cause is either the idler pulley seizing or the tensioner bolt breaking. Once this happens it's a case of Piston, meet valve. I've managed to get 67,000k's out of mine but i was wary about drving it for the last 3000k's. The mechanical shop where I work have done about 10 in the last 6 months. It's an engineering design issue.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Re: Aveo Timing Belt

I recently passed 90,000km. It had 55k km on it when I bought the car so I doubt it has been changed before. I'm thinking about attempting a DIY with some help, since it's so damn costly to have it done at the stealership.

on a positive note, i like the car a lot more than when i first got it, and the online communities seem to have a lot of really good info and helpful people which is encouraging me to learn more about doing things myself, which opens up a lot of new opportunities.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MetroAveo View Post
      I don't understand why they have to keep making engines with interference designs. I have had several cars with the timing belts break, but they were designed so that the valves do not crash into the pistons so I just replaced the belt and off I went, good as new. Uh, hello engineers? Wouldn't it be less of a headache to prevent these issues?
      I know, right? I used to own a Pinto that I could literally change the belt in the middle of the night, or even do the old panty hose trick if I needed to. My GM van was equally as easy to work on. The Aveo? Interference engines are the skinflint way of making a buck, guys.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i dont think you are thinking of the same belt..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12