•  

Thread: 2010 Aveo Halting while driving

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Exclamation 2010 Aveo Halting while driving

Hi guys!

I'm hoping I can get help with my car. I haven't been able to get a pattern in place. Car currently has 115k the issue started with battery around 99k. I've driving with halt issue for about 15k now and it is becoming dangerous.

I was on vacation for 5 weeks, when I came back the car wouldn't start and their was blue (acid?) on the battery. So I was able to jump it and buy a new battery which fixed the problem but then I had an engine light, I got the code and it was bad number 2 coil. I changed all 4 (Bosch platinum) and reset the car by unplugging the negative on the battery. That worked and cleared the engine light and made the car drive better for about 3 days. Also, I did the gas cleaning the same day.

Problem: while driving the car will halt and seems like it is not taking any gas or power. Also, when i'm on the red light (it happens randomly) the rpm start going up like it is taking gas but I have my foot on the brake. It goes from 0-3 or 0-2 or 1-3ish. If I put the car on N or P and give it gas few times the car seems to drive for little while before the halt happens again. I could drive 20 minutes with no issue, and sometimes after 5 minutes of driving the car start halting again.

I've been doing research, it could be multiple issues. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Some of the things I read about that could solve this issue are: 02 sensor, fuel pump, cam shaft, someone said new timing belt...

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Thanks!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      RPMs going up as you described sounds like perhaps a vacuum leak. Any chance you bumped a hose partially loose while doing the prior work? In any case, idle it in P and gently push wires and hoses around with your hands, to see if moving anything causes a change in the way the engine runs. Also, assuming you don't have a vacuum gauge, try spraying a small bit of carb cleaner in the engine bay to see if that changes the engine speed.