•  

Thread: '08 Aveo: dog spilled a drink on "Hold" button. Now car does weird shifting.

Thanks

Smile '08 Aveo: dog spilled a drink on "Hold" button. Now car does weird shifting.

This one came in as a message to Daox and me, but I think the best place to sort it out is in the forum:

I have a 2008 chevy Aveo. Yesterday my dog accidentally knocked over a drink on the hold button next to my shifter. Now the light on my dash board will come on and off and sometimes stay mAking my car shift into a weird low gear. What can I do so I don't have to bring it into the shop?
      First, I have to apologize up front for laughing. It is funny. If this were a question called in to Car Talk with Click & Clack the Tappet Brothers, they would be literally ROTFL.

Then they would probably suggest something like: spill something else around the button that the dog really, really likes, and encourage him/her to lick it all up, possibly cleaning out the problem.

---

But seriously: if you've got a shorted out switch, removing it and then disassembling/cleaning/drying it is what I would probably look at first. Possibly just disconnecting the switch will resolve the problem.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      That's what happens when you let your dog drink in your car.

I often drive with my dog in the passenger seat, as he's my best buddy. But neither of us drink in the car. I drive, and he sits there smiling and watching.

Since we're telling dog stories, here's one that illustrates how observant a dog can be. My previous dog (now deceased) also was with me daily, as I took him with me everywhere in the car as well. One day I was visiting someone where I left him in the car to wait for me for about half an hour. After about 20 minutes I heard a horn blowing. Since mine was the only car in the area, the person I was visiting asked me if it was my car that had the horn blowing. (On some older cars you don't need the key in the ignition to blow the horn.) I said "oh, that must be my dog". Hard to believe, but it actually was true. It WAS him. From observation my dog had learned how to blow the horn in my car without my ever teaching him that. And he knew it would get my attention. Smart little SOB... he was waay too clever.

Better keep your car keys where your dog can't find them.

Thanks
      Haha, thats hilarious.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      I've never been in a car that needs keys in the ignition to use the horn. Aveo included

But good story nonetheless! I love my dogs

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      I've never been in a car that needs keys in the ignition to use the horn. Aveo included
      I have an '89 Mitubishi Galant that looks and runs like new. Believe me, (or find one like it of that generation, if you don't believe me). The horn can't sound if the engine isn't running. I found that out one day when I needed to blow the horn while I was sitting in the driver's seat, parked with the engine off, when someone almost backed into me. (BTW, I've owned that car since it was new and I just tested it right now for the sake of veracity in reporting this.)

But good story nonetheless! I love my dogs
      Yes, and it's a true story, believe it or not. I knew it was possible because I knew how smart that dog was and what he was capable of. But the people I was visiting found it incredulous. They immediately invited my dog into their home because they/we could see out their window that there was no one else present who could have done it. And my dog was still sitting there in the driver's seat grinning! I couldn't have more than one dog like that who is that clever.

It's a good thing dogs don't have opposable thumbs. They'd gang up on us and they'd be running the show.

So remember, no drinking in the car!

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Oh, I completely believe you that some cars need the key to sound the horn. I can see how you could've read the opposite from my post though. It is fairly uncommon though!