•  
    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aveo vs. other subcompacts: U.S. 2010 sales

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Aveo vs. other subcompacts: U.S. 2010 sales (January through July)

have you looked at the materials they use in a base line cobalt? raw crappy plastic.. etc. Just like the versa.

its not always that your better, its who you choose to point out that your better than..

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

one thing that gets on my nerves is how you can go on other car fourms and read about how people get a aveo rental and complain about it not being fast or having a cheap feel, i didnt know people expected GM to make a 12k sports car

i guess it is slow when the guy's 350z is in the shop

personally, i think the cobalts interior looks decent, but like any 20k under car, you cant expect anything amazing, the 2005 cobalt we had a okay interior, though the plastic is crap lol

Banned
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      have you looked at the materials they use in a base line cobalt? raw crappy plastic.. etc. Just like the versa.

its not always that your better, its who you choose to point out that your better than..
      I don't give the Cobalt grief about the interior quality because it at least has performance to it's name. Something the Versa can't claim.
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Thanks

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

They say God help Aveo when it's being cross shopped against Fiesta... they look very competitive to me. Festiva's official year model is 2011, so is the new Aveo's, if I read the articles right...

Compare for yourself.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

they compare it to everything about everything and do not mention a price anywhere, i love reading reviews because i can gauge how biased/racist car fourms/sites are based on the reveiw of an Aveo, if it says its the worst car ever than I lose all creditabilty to the site but if it offers a good insight into it then its alright, i cant figure out how people need so much power on the road, i end up tailgating people all the time, and i merge onto the highway at well over 80mph easily, and the reliabilty crap? All cars have problems but its said the aveo will break down every 5000 miles or so, mine has never gave me a problem crossing over in 50,000 miles

the versa is alright, i dont like the styling but i would own one if i had to, but damn, that versa fourm is nasty

the new aveo is the top car in the segment if they do it right, even the criuse can do well in the next segment up, i hope they find success, I really thought about getting the new aveo when the time comes lol

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo
      they compare it to everything about everything and do not mention a price anywhere, i love reading reviews because i can gauge how biased/racist car fourms/sites are based on the reveiw of an Aveo, if it says its the worst car ever than I lose all creditabilty to the site but if it offers a good insight into it then its alright, i cant figure out how people need so much power on the road, i end up tailgating people all the time, and i merge onto the highway at well over 80mph easily, and the reliabilty crap? All cars have problems but its said the aveo will break down every 5000 miles or so, mine has never gave me a problem crossing over in 50,000 miles
      Apparently the bias stems from the reputation the early Aveos had. Once any product gets a bad rep it's hard to overcome - no matter how much the manufacturer later improves the product. That's understandable, as all bias has some relation to past experiences. But bias can become apparent if the review is just a reworking of a previous review. At that point it isn't objective. It's 'tarring with the same old brush' that was used on the earlier versions.

Also if the Aveo is fully equipped it brings the price close to what other comparable Asian models sell for - again that can be a legitimate comparison. But if the other makers don't offer a stripped down, less costly version of their model, that isn't taken into account. And neither are the discounts that might apply on an Aveo due to a larger unsold inventory.

When I bought my '09 I DID compare it to the Toyota Yaris and the Honda Fit. The Yaris had the same level of interior quality - but the design was idiotic. The Fit had other features or aspects that I didn't like or want. But the Aveo has a stainless exhaust, and the others don't. No one knows that because as a selling point it's not 'sexy' and GM's marketing doesn't sell cars that way. Also with the Aveo I was able to find one equipped exactly as I wanted it at a good discount.

The advantage these other brands have is that the Japs have been building quality cars longer than Daewoo has, thus their reputation has been consistently better. Also they apparently deliver much better MPG in city driving. But this is my dissatisfaction with GM: Somebody fudged those EPA numbers to their advantage, which is misleading to the prospective buyer. There is no way you can know with complete certainty what MPG you will get until you actually buy the vehicle. If you buy an Aveo for local use and expect it to be the same as the other similar Asian models, you are in for a disappointment - for that's where it really falls short of the others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock
      Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo
      Apparently the bias stems from the reputation the early Aveos had. Once any product gets a bad rep it's hard to overcome - no matter how much the manufacturer later improves the product. That's understandable, as all bias has some relation to past experiences. But bias can become apparent if the review is just a reworking of a previous review. At that point it isn't objective. It's 'tarring with the same old brush' that was used on the earlier versions.

Also if the Aveo is fully equipped it brings the price close to what other comparable Asian models sell for - again that can be a legitimate comparison. But if the other makers don't offer a stripped down, less costly version of their model, that isn't taken into account. And neither are the discounts that might apply on an Aveo due to a larger unsold inventory.

When I bought my '09 I DID compare it to the Toyota Yaris and the Honda Fit. The Yaris had the same level of interior quality - but the design was idiotic. The Fit had other features or aspects that I didn't like or want. But the Aveo has a stainless exhaust, and the others don't. No one knows that because as a selling point it's not 'sexy' and GM's marketing doesn't sell cars that way. Also with the Aveo I was able to find one equipped exactly as I wanted it at a good discount.

The advantage these other brands have is that the Japs have been building quality cars longer than Daewoo has, thus their reputation has been consistently better. Also they apparently deliver much better MPG in city driving. But this is my dissatisfaction with GM: Somebody fudged those EPA numbers to their advantage, which is misleading to the prospective buyer. There is no way you can know with complete certainty what MPG you will get until you actually buy the vehicle. If you buy an Aveo for local use and expect it to be the same as the other similar Asian models, you are in for a disappointment - for that's where it really falls short of the others.
      good points, but i think the mpg shortfall is made up if you were to buy a stripped down verison of an aveo, saving thousands over anything else, plus any interest you would pay on the larger amount

for me, i could care less about mpg, i just want to drive lol

i still dont get the underpowered statements, or the fact that 90% of fit, versa and yaris owners have never driven the aveo but call it crap no matter what, or why people rent it and expect it to be a sports car, I hate that the most lol

never really heard much about the older aveos thoug, but i would assume it would be bad anyways because its a "domestic"...in that case it will never have a chance

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i just stopped and looked at the fiesta.. cheapest on on the lost was 17k.. most expensive was 23k.. i could buy a cobalt ss for that.

That got me to read the list of cars in the sales figures above, how many of those are actually available under 13k? 14k?

Thanks

damn, that is a lot, but i really am not surprised, the focus should be at 24,000 starting?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast