•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K&B Air Filter vs. Paper, Paper Wins!

What do you mean there's no turbo? AveoJoe's Avatar
      Thanks
      oil just attracts more dust and dirt. Every 2k miles I cleaned her oiled k&n filter much dirt came out now not using oil half of the dirt comes out. Its like using oil based tire shine you will always get more dirt then non oil based tire shine.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJoe View Post
      oil just attracts more dust and dirt. Every 2k miles I cleaned her oiled k&n filter much dirt came out now not using oil half of the dirt comes out. Its like using oil based tire shine you will always get more dirt then non oil based tire shine.
      Yeah, its not attracting/collecting any dirt because its letting the other half thru the filter. Pull the intake tract and look inside. I bet its dusty.

The oiled filters are only supposed to be cleaned once or twice a year because they actually filter better when they're dirty.

Thanks
      ok lets see what they say. Thank you for your e-mail and utilizing K&N's Tech Support e-mail system. We will respond to your request as quickly as possible. However, due to high volume of emails we receive, a response could take up to a week. If you submitted a question in another language than English or Dutch, it may take an additional week for us to respond.

Thank you for your patience and for visiting our website.

Kind regards,

Your European K&N Technical Support Team

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Over oiling the filter is not good either. The performance paper filters is your best option for performance. All performance filter let a slight amount of particulate into the engine but it's not harmful unless they are big enough to not pass through the system. Or are large enough quantity to clog (like blood clots).

Thanks
      DUDE I just checked it took off the filter cleaned it looked inside the pipe...TOOK it off the amount of dust shocked me. OILED FILTER UNTIL THERE WAS NO WHITE SHOWING.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJoe View Post
      DUDE I just checked it took off the filter cleaned it looked inside the pipe...TOOK it off the amount of dust shocked me. OILED FILTER UNTIL THERE WAS NO WHITE SHOWING.
      I'm not the type to say "I told you so."

(but I'm really tempted to.... lol)

But seriously. If you HAVE to have a performance air filter, get the AEM DRYFLOW. Its similar to the stock filter, but basically has a greater surface area, thusly allowing greater/easier airflow.

Thanks
      AEM Induction Dryflow Synthetic Air Filter 21-201DK this is the one on thats my car.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Shibbs View Post
      I'm not the type to say "I told you so."

(but I'm really tempted to.... lol)

But seriously. If you HAVE to have a performance air filter, get the AEM DRYFLOW. Its similar to the stock filter, but basically has a greater surface area, thusly allowing greater/easier airflow.
      and that was on a K&N FILTER I will oil it but will clean it every 3k miles as told by auto parts man at least untill K&N writes back.
      Last edited by AveoJoe; 10-12-2010 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks
      Thank you for using K&N products.
      We advise at least every 50 000 to 80 000 kilometers, but of course it is depending on the circumstances. In dusty conditions, you can clean more often, but every 3 000 miles is a short interval. This is what our FAQ page says;

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i use a foam filter and have never had a problem

yellow '04 hatch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12