•  

Thread: New from Jacksonville

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

New from Jacksonville

Hi all,

I have an 06 aveo hatch that i've had since it was new. I have a love/hate relationship with this car, primarily because of the more recent problems with just about every part of the suspension. I moved from NY, where salt seems to have destroyed bushings and various other parts and i've just started working and it's not easy to get everything fixed all at once. I had the struts done recently and the wheel is shimmying and the tire place said it was a control arm, but didn't specify which one (I didn't bring it in to be checked). I'm planning to get both replaced in the next week but they said it also needs shims for the arms?? I am NOT a mechanic and I can usually figure things out but don't have tools to do the big things and it's difficult to have free time with 60+ hours of work a week. I'm better in fixing computers than I am with cars, but can do smaller things. I don't want to be ripped off but i'm afraid not to get the accumulating problems fixed. They quoted $500 for ONE control arm, plus a new alignment and that seems pretty ridiculous. The car hasn't let me down mechanically but i'm not sure how much longer I want to throw money at it. There's no lien on it but with the crap suspension, it isn't worth much and I can't get a loan for a new car (ex ruined my credit, working on building it back up). Thoughts? Suggestions? Help!

Last edited by Jaxman; 10-31-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Welcome to AveoForum! Lower control arms do not cost $400.00 with an alignment being around $100.00. You could order the control arm form www.gmpartsdirect.com for a pretty nominal price. I had one done once on my 04 Aveo sedan and the part cost $90.00. I say buy it then get a mechanic to install it then get an alignment don't.

Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?