•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a feeling you guys are about to become my new best friends...

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gothstone View Post
      From what your describing I would be damn tempted to just change the clutch place and disk (since your there anyway), replace the busted bell housing and bolts with one from a junk yard (probably about $100 if the whole transaxle is going for $300) and hope. If the tranny is torn up you can get the rest of it from the junk yard, but it sounds like it would be ok.
      unfortunately, his original transmission is toast, due to the fact that on the D16 Manual Transmission, the Bellhousing is Integral to the rest of the case.

Thanks
      Exactly. The gearbox was open & dry (according to the Chevy Tech.) I did find a replacement D16 for $250...and just picked that up about 30 min ago. So onward I go... I'm going to create a few new threads for my project so I can soak up all the great wisdom around here...and voice my questions if I've not found them in other threads already. I guess my first questions are these:

Given I'm about to commence a fairly major set of rebuild activities including:
      - replace clutch,
      - replace transmission,
      - replace front struts,
      - replace front brakes,
      - replace timing belt,
      - replace serpentine belt,
      - replace the thermostat & housing,
      - replace valve gasket
      - replace the air cleaner intake hose & filter,
      - replace spark plugs and wires

What order should I commence the aforementioned projects?

Is there anything else should I tackle along the way?

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
      Exactly. The gearbox was open & dry (according to the Chevy Tech.) I did find a replacement D16 for $250...and just picked that up about 30 min ago. So onward I go... I'm going to create a few new threads for my project so I can soak up all the great wisdom around here...and voice my questions if I've not found them in other threads already. I guess my first questions are these:

Given I'm about to commence a fairly major set of rebuild activities including:
      - replace clutch, 1
      - replace transmission, 2
      - replace front struts, 7
      - replace front brakes, 8
      - replace timing belt, 3
      - replace serpentine belt, 6
      - replace the thermostat & housing, 5
      - replace valve gasket 4
      - replace the air cleaner intake hose & filter, 9
      - replace spark plugs and wires 10

What order should I commence the aforementioned projects?

Is there anything else should I tackle along the way?
      I've given you a number sequence on the things you've listed so far. hope that helps.
      Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 07-30-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i wouldn't put the clutch at # 1 while the transmission has a big hole in it..

trans and clutch are one thing though. All the other items would be dependent of their condition.

Thanks
      Excellent! I shall proceed from there. I imagine that it might be easier to do parts of some jobs before finishing others--both for helping me understand what goes where and also because access/clearances would be improved.

Right. I'd want to get the clutch on the new transmission 1st.

Thanks
      Not sure if I closed with people here... I ended up NOT replacing the transmission. The Chevy tech lied to me. As I broke into the work I found the crankcase was not ripped open, nor was it dry of oil. All that ended up happening was the middle mount bolt ear ripped off the transmission because it could not support the weight of things without the bottom bolt in place. I simply removed the bolt from broken middle mount and put in into the bottom hole (after aligning the transmission assembly of course.)

As for my list, I've done everything but the Clutch, Brakes (they looked like >50%) and I think I didn't do the thermostat (it's been working fine...just figured since I was in there I'd get it done...but then forgot...or I did it and don't remember as I don't see the parts sitting around.)

And SUCCESS! It fires right up and purrs real smoothly now. In another thread I saw that you're supposed to do the plugs ever 25K, but this is the first change ever...so that's good. I'll give the valve seal goo another 15hrs to set up completely before I really warm it up or take a test drive, but so far, I'm thrilled! Thanks so much to everyone for their wisdom and insights.

This is an excellent board. What a fabulous resource for us DIY types! Who'd have thought this could be done without a Chilton's in hand. Thanks to everyone!

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Glad to see you got it all sorted out!

Though, if you're still using the plastic thermostat housing, I'd change it now anyway just to have it out of the way; those things become brittle and crack with age, and cause a major roadside headache.

The replacement part should only run you about $35, and it's easy, your son could probably be your assistant! Could teach him about coolant, something every car owner should know a little about.

Happy driving!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12