•  

Thread: Hello all, new here

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Hello all, new here

Hello,

proud owner of a 2005 Aveo LS 5 door, have owned it since 2008, had 29k miles on it then about 108k now. I have done the valve cover gasket new plugs and wires, the stat housing... Has 17" wheels with 205/40-17 tires, tinted windows and a nice pioneer stereo. Been a great little car. But the other day the serpentine belt started coming apart so I called the mechanic and he asked if the timing belt had ever been done, I said I have never had it done , he told me it should be done every 60k and gave me a quote of 1200 bucks, so it's parked for now. Stared doing some online searching and came across a well done how to on this fourm. Ordered the parts and special tools from Amazon and I will be in it less then $150. I will take any and all advice you guys have for me... Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images   

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      There should be some great how-to's on here, with pics if you search hard enough. That's fantastic that you feel up to the challenge of doing it yourself for a fraction of the cost. From the help on here, it looks like it's reasonable enough for someone with the courage to dive in there.

You need to do 2 things now. 1) Buy a lottery ticket, because going 108,000 miles on a 1st gen timing chain is on seriously borrowed time. (Although you may have used up all your luck, but it's worth the cost of a lottery ticket to find out if you've got any left. And 2), you owe your mechanic a case of beer for saving you $2000.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Lol, now that's good advice, on my way for that lottery ticket.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Well he may have given you advice but his price certainly not reasonable. PoisonIvy gave you great advice and for FREE! So get that belt changed, post pictures and progress.

It's not that hard of a repair. Just tedious. If you replace the water pump, you will need to take off your cam shaft pulleys. Get a lock down tool or something like that.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....